Sunday, August 1, 2010

And of course the guilt comes back

I feel like it was too much of a downer to leave everyone (all two of you) that read this thing on such a down note. I believe as a result of letting it all go, things have turned around, even if only a little bit at a time.

Things that have been happening with the kids: Trevor finished vacation bible school at our church this week, and also had his last golf event of the season on Friday. Since Russ does not have a similar outlet to record his stories, I think he would appreciate me recording this one for him: So we were at the closing lunch for Trevor's golf league on Friday. There were close to 100 people there. Some grandparents, some parents, but someone had to have been a member at the lunch. Russ and his dad had won their event not more than 2 weeks previously, so he introduced me to some of the people that he wanted me to meet since I had not been there. The pros have always been really nice to the kids in that they give trophies and pictures in frames of the kids as well as little prizes when they play their fun games afterwards.

So Trevor was in the three hole league this year, and they had a very low turn-out in their group for the season. He played with 3 other boys and two girls in the league. They never mixed guys and girls, so when they announced the winners of the 3 hole group, there were only 3 boys total and gave prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Trevor had a good final round and ended up taking first place with a score of 27. They read off the scores by something to the effect of, "in third place, with a score of 32 was Joe K. In second place, with a score of 28 is Danny M. And in first place, with a score of 27 is Trevor." Immediately following his announcement, you hear a grunting, belted out "YES!!!" And see a fist pump after he jumped out of his chair. After finding the floor pattern by my shoes, I couldn't help but overhear the table next to us say, "Well, I never would have thought that was something that is genetic." And anyone who has ever played with Russ or his dad would know exactly what sound that Trevor made. But what can you say? He enjoyed his win. I hope someday he can be convinced to change the way he holds his golf club.

And then a side event that happened today, as a result of something I did yesterday really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Yesterday we went to the library. It just so happened that they had a museum pass available for the MN Zoo. I checked it out and saw that it was good for two people for up to a week. Spur of the moment today we took the kids out there. They accidentally rang up two passes, so we actually got all 4 of us in for free. Saved us $42 bucks! That's not a little coupon deal! We didn't have a lot of time, so we headed out to the farm and then spent all the rest of the time on their splash pad. On an almost 90 degree day, I don't feel all that bad. We may not have had the most nutritious meals this weekend, but I didn't spend a whole lot of money on them either.

So it is the start of a new week, and new activity for Trevor. I'm curious to see how it compares to his park program. There are only 3 weeks left of activities. One of these days we will have to have the fun school supply shopping day. I like to get there before things start to run out.

It is time to get going. I stayed up late last night to get through the final episode of Lost. I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe because I didn't have high hopes, but I liked the corny way it ended, exactly like it started. Anyway, I'm going to try to catch up on some of my shows that I have been neglecting. Hopefully I can find the time.

1 comment:

Kevin and Kelsey said...

Who else reads this besides the Trauscht's (Kevin and Kelsey) because there are two followers right there. :-)