Friday, January 6, 2012

The new nomal

With the tree coming down before New Years, that meant that there wasn't too much organizing to do in order to get the house back to regular slightly messy but not too unbearable.  A lot of the cleaning came from the gifts from everyone.  So now we are back to school for both kids and there has been a shift in things to be doing as is the case with the introduction to new toys games. 

Gwen doesn't hold back with anything she can play with.  She wants to be a part of all the games, from Trevor's Angry Birds board game to having her own guy that she restarts (exactly like Trevor used to do with Super Mario Galaxy) in order to see Princess Zelda.  She also has been Ms. Creativity with all the coloring, play-dough like crafts, marker drawings, and sticker projects.  I don't know how long the ream of paper is going to last her.  If she keeps this up, it won't be much past the beginning of February.  I'm not even sure what to do with them all!  I would take pictures, and maybe when I get a chance I will, but I'm just enjoying playing "her" toys with her like her Berry Bitty Market (Strawberry Shortcake). 

Music has been a huge increase in our house.  I was tired of the "mix tape" CD's not being able to be played anywhere because the quality isn't the same as the regular CDs.  Russ has an old iPod nano, but I convinced Russ (and used a gift card) to buy a speaker system and a new iPod nano to put the kids music on.  A big hit with the kids is when they get to play Just Dance Kids 2.  We haven't done the first one, but with Gwen and her love to learn a new dance routine, this was just perfect.  It did get all four of us into the groove and of course Russ and Trevor become very competitive.  Gwen wins most of the time and Russ sometimes has to back off in order to make sure Trevor doesn't come in last place all the time.  We did find two new songs to put on the nano:  "Despicable Me" and "Gummy Bear".  They both start dancing to them when they hear the songs. 

Gwen has started her requests that she sees on the Disney Channel like a song from the Pixie Hollow Games and songs from the pre teen shows like A.N.T. Farm, Shake it Up, and a Lemonade Mouth song.  When I was searching through all the songs that Russ had saved onto an old computer, I came across an album I got called Kermit Unpigged - a take off of all the Unplugged albums that came out at the time.  They are all cover songs with at least one Muppet singing along to them.  I had totally forgotten about them, but I put a few of them onto the nano for the kids and Gwen found them.  Do you want to know what her favorite song is of the entire group at the moment? Ozzy Osborne and Miss Piggy singing "Born to be Wild".  I guess I should have seen that coming as she loves Miss Piggy.  But just a few minutes ago she said to me her name was Ozzy Osborne.  Her last name only.  Made me laugh out loud.

Also, Miss Gwen has really picked up her reading.  She has been asking me to point out words in books as I read them but just last night, without anyone reading anything to her, she knew the word Rupee on the Zelda game Trevor was playing.  She doesn't like it when you ask her what words she can read...but I know they are quite a few.  The thing that is really throwing her for a loop now is the difference between a company name and what kind of place of business it is.  Like if we go to the grocery store, she expects Grocery Store to be on sign name.  She knows that we go to Cub Foods, but that's not what I usually say.  Restaurants are easier, but if we go to get a haircut, that is confusing for her too.  Our bank says Wells Fargo, but a nearby one says US Bank. 

*Sigh...kids grow up...what can you do. 

No comments: