Tuesday, January 24, 2012

So far so good

We are in the home stretch of the dreaded month of January.  My parents are coming back within a week, Gwen has her winter dance program, we are starting to hear about summer programs....and it wasn't that horrible of a winter.  Still doesn't mean I wanted to be outdoors at any point within the past 3 months or so.  If I have to put on a jacket, it is too cold.  Hopefully our trip to Florida will be relatively jacket free...and then I would consider it a successful vacation. 

So Trevor has received his first communion meeting schedule and date of his actual first communion.  He also, for the first time, was picked to bring the gifts up to the priest this last Sunday.  Ever since he started going to the Children's Liturgy over a year ago, he wanted to bring the gifts up.  I asked him to wait until I could show him how to do it by watching the other kids do it.  Then I asked him to repeat to me what he would do, making sure he understood to wait for the other kids and bow before coming back to his seat.  Then it took a few weeks before he was picked.  So that brings us to last Sunday.  He was so proud coming back to his seat and when I didn't see him with the other kids I knew he had gotten picked.  It was one of those moments where I'm pretty sure he will remember.  And I know there will be many more times he will bring them up.  It just seems like he has a big year in church. 

This past weekend, we also got to visit with a few out-of-town relatives.  It was Russ's grandma's 80th birthday celebration.  Three of grandma's son's were flown in from out of town and two of them were a surprise to her.  I know she was very surprised and she got to eat her favorite lobster for her birthday.  I do have to chuckle because Russ's cousin is named Quinn and Gwen loved to hang around him.  Whenever I called out to Gwen, and she was usually around Quinn, he couldn't help but do a double-take.  Their names sound very similar when saying them.

Also, Uncle Mike got to stay with us a few nights, and Gwen also became very attached to him.  He was nice enough to leave us with some of his signature crepes which Trevor has been eating as his school snacks and I have been enjoying as a nice snack as well ;-)  Anyway, when he left on Saturday, she pulled the waterworks and I think he was a little shocked that she had already become so attached.  I also think she thought if he would feel bad enough, he would take her with him. 

Trevor started his second session of chess and he has almost graduated to their second quad.  I have no idea what that means, but his friend is a grade ahead of him and he is in the 4th quad.  He is really enjoying it, and I'm glad we tried it out.  I wonder if Gwen will have an interest in it at all.  I guess we shall see.....

No comments: