Saturday, February 18, 2012

Holiday Dance Recital

I'm a bit late in writing this as we have had a lot going on.  I also wish I could figure out how to get my video camera to download videos on this computer without having to install archaic software.  Dumb thing is, I'm pretty sure my computer could find something on its own, but I just don't ever get that far in having the camera, cords, time and energy to even try it out. 

So last Saturday was Gwen's Holiday dance recital.  She had her first spring recital last June, and because we started so late last year, I didn't want to jump right in to a recital last year.  Luckily, she got to be Rudolph with the rest of the kids her age this year, and if she is in Kindergarten next year, she will move up to dance to "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas".  That group practiced with them for a little bit so she got to watch them dance their dance. 

They had two shows which they were asked to perform in; an afternoon and an evening show.  In order to avoid paying for a ticket to both shows, I figured I would volunteer to help with the afternoon one as a chaperon since none of our family could make it to that show and would be attending the evening show.  Also, because we were staying for the whole first show, she could go on to do a bow as part of the finale and then we could leave at intermission during the evening show. 

The afternoon show seemed to go smooth, although the rehearsal was very bumpy.  We couldn't leave until the group got to practice their song, and they started with the bow.  Four times....three times with music.  I got why they needed to practice that, but I heard that it caused the group to not finish the entire rehearsal until after 10pm.  We started at 6. 

It was nice to be able to sit in the audience for the evening one, although when she came onto stage, she didn't have her costume gloves on.  The chaperons were responsible for making sure the kids costumes were complete.  Then, when I went to get Gwen at the end of the first act, one of her friends had drawn all over her arm with a marker.  I know Gwen did some of it herself, but I was surprised and we were very lucky that this didn't happen before she went on stage because you would have been able to see it. 

Throughout the past week, we have all now had to battle a cold running around the family.  It makes just about everyone either cranky, irritable, or just plain different than normal, and not usually in a good way.  I'm really wondering if Gwen has developed some ear issues when it comes to hearing.  When I brought her in for her preschool screening, she was 3 days off of being diagnosed with an ear infection.  I told the screeners, and she did fail her hearing in that ear, but I wonder if through her different ear issues she has developed some hearing difficulties.  I have been noticing her asking "what" A LOT...and I know some of it could be related to her being sick and congested, but overall, she also talks very loudly, and has to play music and other things loud as well.  Perhaps it could be something as minor as getting something to clean out her ears from time to time, but I don't want her to be missing things at school and such.

***ETA this is much later than I hoped to add to the blog.  I had high hopes of adding pictures into this.  Maybe I will go back and edit to add pictures.  But in the mean time, I need to get a few of these posts going because I have a lot of topics, and not a lot of time!

No comments: