Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Such a big kid

Today's the "real deal".  The day when my baby boy turns 9.  He has been excited to get another year older, but he also knows it isn't exactly a new thing anymore.  We had his family birthday celebration on Sunday, and he was correcting everyone so that they knew he wasn't 9 yet.  He has school on his birthday, so that allows him to bring cookies for his birthday to share with his class.  He usually gets about 2 per 6 or 7 years and starting next year, he's going to have a stretch of a few that he doesn't get to school for.  Regardless, it's always a special day when you get to celebrate your birthday at school.  Or at least that's what I've been told ;-)

He has decided that he wants to have a sleepover party this year, but he also wants to be able to play nintendo, so I explained that he can't have more that 4 people and that's what he's doing.  Hopefully they will be able to get to sleep at some point and everyone will have a good time.  Then we can full out decorate for Christmas.

He has his doctor appointment in a few weeks to get his measurements...I'm pretty sure he's on the tall end of the spectrum.  And he's proud of that.  He's catching up to a lot of his relatives...at least he's within a head of a few of them now.  Part of the getting bigger means more responsibilities.  He can stay home by himself for short periods of time, which Gwen is not all that impressed with.  Thank goodness we have the idea of babysitters almost being someone to play with, rather than someone to watch over you.  He's never put up a fight to have someone watch him.

He's also having a lot of activities that he enjoys.  Baseball, hockey, swimming, golf, chess, religion class, and piano.  With school this year, he just starting hitting some subjects where it doesn't automatically come to him without thinking.  To which he said last night, "I think they gave me 5th grade homework or something.  I don't know how to do this yet."  Granted, he has been learning a lot in his other subjects, but I don't know that he has understood that there are different things and rules to learn with new topics in math.  I guess I'll have to sit down with him again to help him through the new stuff.

While he does love his video games and computer time, I'm SO happy to say that he enjoys his time away from the screens just as much.  He spends hours outside throwing the ball around during baseball season.  He still gets out his diecast cars and plays around with them.  He writes in his journals and reads a few different books for extended periods of time.  And I LOVE to have heart to heart conversations with him.  I know he has already stopped believing in Santa, so I'm prepared to have that conversation with him but he has never been ready to give it all up.  Which for me, is very nice.

I hope to continue these wonderful memories the next 9 years.  It's time to celebrate today!  I love you, my 9 year old!

No comments: