Sunday, October 3, 2010

It's time for the princess

My darling Gwendolyn,
Who would have known that having a girl would have brought such completeness to this family. Three years ago today you entered the world and nothing has been the same since. This past year has been a year of growing, both physically and otherwise. Obviously your personality is really shining now. A few weeks ago we stumbled upon the home movies from when Trevor was in preschool. I know that everyone says it is hard to imagine life before kids, or even when your babies were babies, but wow. I always knew that you talked early, but I feel like I was a spectacular mind reader compared to everything you talk about and communicate to me now. It is wonderful that you can rationalize even just a small amount, such as being able to predict things that happen. I can tell you something like, at 1:00 (our movie time if we are not out and about) and you know how to look for it. I can explain what we are going to do tomorrow and you know that doesn't mean in a few minutes. You really enjoy playing with people, especially kids around your age. While I do love to play with you, I finally feel happy to have kids over because I know what kind of a joy you get when you have someone to play with.

Your strong independence has been challenging, yet I have found ways to use it to my advantage. It was what caused you to be potty trained in less than a week. I made it as easy for you to do as possible. You used a stool, a chair that made the seat smaller, and you had shorts that were easy to get on and off. If there is anything that you want to fight me about, I often give you the choice to do it yourself or I will help you and that often speeds up the process.

Your kind and caring nature has been wonderful for everyone. Although Trevor isn't that way naturally, I have been using your hugs to teach him that it is a wonderful way to share love between family. You love to dance and sing songs. If I can find a good fit, I would love to get you into dance and gymnastics this year. And swimming.

Your party this year was amazing. It was an all day event that so many of your loving family was able to attend. We will be having a lot of fun playing with all the toys for many weeks to come. Then Christmas will be here and even more toys! (Note to self: Now I really need to gut more toys, or at least make more space for the new ones...) The look on your face as you were opening gifts was perfect. Now we have to duplicate the feeling for Trevor. As he was going to bed tonight, he said he felt sad because it wasn't his birthday. I asked him if we tried to do the same thing for his birthday if he would like it, and he said yes. (Note to family, plan on another all-day thing on November 27th!).

As it is after every party, I'm beat. But I wanted to record on this special day these special thoughts for my princess daughter. I love you Gwen!

No comments: