Wednesday, October 13, 2010

An up and down week

It is only Wednesday and it feels like it has been double that. I don't get what is up with Trevor and his cough. He got a cold starting on Friday and it has manifested itself in the form of a horrible hacking cough. The normal stand-by Delsym does not work and he was able to take a nap on Monday, but not since then. He wants to try to go back to school today, but I really wish his cough would hold up. Last night was no better than the other 4 nights. It is tough to think he's going to get better fast if he can't sleep well.

Gwen has probably the same thing but only coughs on rare occasions. She went to school yesterday and her spirits have been fine. I took Trevor to the doctor yesterday in hopes to get a cough suppressant but turns out they would rather give him a antibiotic for his ear infection that he hasn't been complaining about. While the doctor we saw did have kids, I have a hard time believing that they have been through things like this. Or I wonder if they are bound by some sort of statement by the company that they work for that they cannot suggest cough or cold medicine to children under age 12. But I'd love to see how many of these decision makers have children who go hours before being able to cough themselves to sleep.

A wonderful day was had on both Sunday and Monday earlier this week. Bubba had her big party and a nephew was born on Monday. Lots of early October birthdays in the extended family! I have to say that with the lack of sleep, it has been tough to keep my happy attitude, but I have explained to the kids that I do not have a lot of patience because I often wish that it was the end of the day so I can go to sleep. I don't necessarily know that it makes the kids behave any better, but I think it may make Trevor understand that I don't have a lot of tolerance for the normal bickering. I'm only human.

School starts again for me today with two classes, and I'm going to try to get as much done early as I can. We'll have to see how I pull that off. Time to start the day!

No comments: