Wednesday, November 9, 2011

It's Time to Play the Music

So I have no idea who reads this blog.  I do know that it is mostly my immediate family and that my intention for writing this is to give it as a gift to my kids when they are old enough to have their own kids.  Regardless, I don't know how many people understand my interest obsession with The Muppets.  So I will create a short backstory....  Yes as a child, I watched Sesame Street.  I really liked it.  Even when my younger brothers were watching it, I would also enjoy catching an episode or two.  But really I became a true muppet fan when my dad and I would watch the weekly show when it was in its first run.  I know as I was older, I could sometimes catch it on syndication but I will always remember The Muppet Show as an occasion where my dad and I saw it together. 

When Jim Henson died while I was in Junior High, I was very sad.  I knew there would never be another Muppet Movie or Muppet Show like what he had put on in the past.  Granted I was a bit of a snotty teenager thinking about all this at the time, but oh well.  I would like to clarify that I am obsessed more with the Muppets associated with the Muppet Show and Muppet Movies, not necessarily Jim Henson, but I also knew of the association of what he brought to the whole creative side of things.

So I grew up, met my love, and brought along with my obsession.  I have all Muppet Movies, I had acquired a bunch of VHS tapes that I have let go....I think...and tried to continue to collect any DVDs that I don't have, that I think are worth seeing.  Like I said, since Jim Henson's death there haven't been a TON of movies that have measured up to the Jim Henson era.  We named our two cats Piggy and Kermie (both girls) that we got in 1998.  I have a tattoo of Kermit that I got in 2006.  I do have the first 3 Seasons (of 5) that they released via Disney.  Oh, that reminds me...how lucky is it that Disney now has acquired The Muppets?  It's now a permanent attraction at Disney World much to my LOVE!!!  Plus, Disney has got a great marketing strategy and plenty of funds to draw from!

I am extremely tempted to get the whole series via a non-disney supplier of the Muppet Show.  I do know that Disney decided to edit the shows individually and not include everything as originally shown.  It makes me sad, but I don't know that I'm the type of person to care a whole lot about one particular show, I just like being able to watch a show here or there and get into the big skits like Pigs in Space, Swedish Chef, and Muppet Labs.  I do wonder how much longer they are going to wait to release those last two seasons!  Maybe after their new movie?

Yes, I am very excited to see the new Muppet movie.  Like I said, its now a Disney property and they are promoting the heck out of it.  I already got a free movie pass when we do go.  But the reason I'm really writing is that although I had watched most of the Muppet Show series, I thought I should break it out in preparation for the movie.  I would like the kids to be at least knowledgeable about the music they will hear at the movie.

And so it begins.  I decided to start at the beginning even though I thought the beginning was a bit slow.  Fortunately, I hit the kids at a perfect time in their lives.  Because the show was less than a half hour, it keeps Gwen's attention and Trevor is ROLLING around laughing so hard about everything in the show that he often misses most of the next thing that happens because it is so fast moving.  It just gives me such a warm feeling to be able to share this feeling with them.  Thankfully, I think I have a good thing to throw on the TV when we are looking for a quick pick-me-up. 

For those of you that are interested:  I'm pretty sure that Trevor's favorite part is anytime Stadler and Waldorf talk.  He knows they do or say something funny.  But the one he is currently quoting all the time is a skit that Fozzy did about the Wild West where he came in and held up the saloon with pickles.  You have to ask him about it if you really want to see something fun!

So 15 more days until the release!  It's time to play the music!  It's time to light the lights!  It's time to get things started!!!!!

No comments: