Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thankful for my little Turkey

Another year has come and gone.  Another year where it is getting harder and harder to remember my life before being a mom.  Although in some respects it seems to be getting more challenging, I would say that in the same respect, it brings a bigger rewarding feeling as you get through it. 

We spent the day how I thought Trevor would enjoy it.  He requested that I make him his eggo waffles for breakfast...I guess I make them better out of the toaster than he does?....I threw in a quick batch of pillsbury sweet rolls that both kids enjoyed.  We headed to Benihana for lunch since that is Trevor's favorite place to eat...but on Sundays they are open at 1pm at the earliest.  If anyone has ever eaten there, their lunch portions are not much smaller than their dinner portions.  So while we wanted to eat dinner on the early side, most of us were pretty full after the big lunch. 

But the lunch was a fun time.  Backtracking a bit....for the past two days Trevor has had a little head cold.  Nothing by far to worry about or to derail him from anything, but as I have previously mentioned, he has a hard time sleeping, nightmares, talking in his sleep, etc.  So he isn't exactly well rested.  Hopefully tonight will be different, but during the last few days he has been very lethargic.  So when we were out to lunch, he seemed tired, but I think he still ate ok and had a good time. 

We came back home, had dinner, sang, open gifts, ate more and played with a lot of his gifts.  As a slight side note....Gwen did a great job today letting Trevor be in the spotlight.  I think it helped having her birthday recently and yet also having some extended family too.  She is beginning to understand her day will come again and she respected Trevor's wishes to open his own gifts, blow out his own candles and more than one occasion today both kids hugged each other and told each other they loved them.  (it warms a mom's heart)

We were able to drag he away from his most prized possession, the 3DS to play with the dart guns, but he also really enjoyed every single gift he got.  The kitten and Trevor and even Gwen got squealing over the spy R/C car.  And because we started the nighttime routine early enough I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing much of Trevor until he reads and rereads his Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.  At least he can put a bunch of reading minutes into his reading log now.  But I also had to repeat to him the fact that he CANNOT wake up before 6:30am to read.  And that he would have plenty of time to read before and after breakfast if he got a good night's sleep.  I am happy that he does love to read. 

Looking back at the past year, I know that this year is going to be a significant improvement for Trevor.  We have really found a groove and a lot of his interests and can make sure he gets to enjoy life and learn a lot too.  I can't wait to see what this next year brings to him.

No comments: