Saturday, December 3, 2011

Gwen the puzzler

Well, she made it through the big even that was Thanksgiving and Trevor's birthday without a big hitch.  She was a big helper the day of his birthday which I was very thankful for.  It appears as though she is slowly learning that everyone's birthday is special to them for that one day and she cannot do anything about it, so she might as well enjoy it. 

We had her preschool conference last Thursday and it went very well.  Right now she is not very interested in drawing or writing, and actually I'm sort of surprised.  When she is at home, if I ask her to create a card for someones birthday she loves to do it.  If we break out new pens, pencils, or markers she right away wants to use them.  But if she is at preschool it seems as though she does the minimum for what is asked and then runs to the next thing.  Perhaps preschool is too fun and if she can play first, she would love it.  She is also working on her friendships and working out conflicts without the help of the teacher.  I'm debating on picking up a few more days of child care here and there to see if that would be fun for her.  But overall it was a great conference!  She is one great kid!

Something that I've finally put together is that she is different from Trevor in the way that she plays.  I have always known that she likes her dolls where he liked his cars, and I simply figured that you play with cars different than you play with dolls.  But she also likes Legos.  She wanted to play with Trevor's lego people which I just thought was an extension of dolls.  She also wanted to put the legos together to make houses or vehicles for the Lego people.  And then there has always been her love of puzzles.  She can put together the 50 states in under 2 minutes if she feels up to it.  I love that if we are ever talking about different states, like yesterday morning I was explaining my love of Hawaii again and Trevor started asking about Texas and Gwen ran to get out the states puzzle so she could put it together and Trevor could show her which state we were talking about. 

It seems to me that it she really enjoys putting things together....I wonder if this will translate to a career for her in some way.  Maybe a fashion designer...that is something I would see as fitting her interests....  Have I explained how she cannot get enough of my jewelry?  She loves the necklaces and one class ring that I have in my jewelry box.  When she asked to wear one, I explained when she was wearing a pretty dress I would let her borrow them.  Now, whenever she is wearing her two playdresses, she runs upstairs and grabs one of the necklaces and class ring and wears them throughout the day.  Putting together the perfect outfit is a must for this girl.  And what gets me is that she has a whole box filled with her own jewelry and she will play with it, but she knows it isn't good enough to actually wear out in public.  *sigh*  Maybe if I hit up Claires she will be satisfied....

No comments: