Saturday, December 17, 2011

'Tis the busy season

Everyone always seems extra busy during this time of year.  It really makes me dread the next month that is coming because I know it will slow WAY down.  Perhaps to the point of wanting to shut my door and not leave the house.  But I digress....right now it is busy.  Last week was very busy for us.  Russ was traveling for the week, which in some ways made it less hectic knowing that I just had to know where the kids needed to go, rather than the whole family.  I also warned Trevor because I know he appreciates the little down time he does have with the ever increasing demands of homework, piano practice and the want to play video games.  That for sure has taken a back seat to everything else going on.  He maybe gets to play once or twice a week. 

So on to this week.  Monday was crazy with Chess, dinner, dance class and then directly to hockey pictures.  No time for anything that day.  Tuesday, I was off for a holiday PTA event but thankfully the kids didn't have to be brought anywhere to do anything.  Wednesday, the kids had their last swimming lesson of the session, but my better judgement said to abandon the swimming lesson to make sure we made the preschool Christmas program on time.  It was a very cute show as always, and the bells performance was wonderful. 

I decided that because we didn't have anything going on Thursday, we would run on over to the mall for our annual Santa pictures.  It was a perfect setting.  Just in case, I brought a book for Trevor to read, but in the end it wasn't needed.  We walked right up to Santa and no one else came to the line for at least 10 minutes.  That meant 10 minutes of in depth discussion with Santa.  It also meant that when the three pictures they tried to take of the kids didn't turn out, they were gracious enough to take 4 more before I found one I really liked.  Or at least where they both looked ok. 

The kids told Santa what they wanted...Gwen wanted a big Cinderella doll...although funny thing, she told her mom the day before she wanted a big Sleeping Beauty doll and I don't think Santa is going to bring her two...I guess we'll see.  Trevor was not very specific.  He preferred to talk about all the things he has done and ask a lot of questions about how old he was, and if our Frankincense (Elf on a Shelf) could stick around for the rest of the year because he was pretty much a member of our family.  It wasn't fair that he had to be away the rest of the year and miss his birthday and such.  And Santa thought that it wasn't a big deal if the Elf stuck around.  Ummm....maybe our Elf will write a departing note or something. 

So apart from that discussion, it was a very good trip to see Santa.  I hear that there are some families that ask their teenagers to at least stand behind or next to Santa for those same pictures.  I would even promise to keep all those pictures away from the public eye until they had kids of their own....I love to watch the kids grow up with the same Santa every year.  That is one tradition I am happy to continue.

No comments: