Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas season memories


My memories of the Christmas season this year are for the most part, very joyous.  I was pleasantly surprised.  This first picture is not really related to the Christmas season.  It was a picture that I had to take after Gwen had found my bright red lipstick and tried it on without any help of a mirror or myself.  Reminded me of when Trevor got into my finger nail polish and put it on himself and all over my bathroom.  Thankfully, Gwen didn't get it anywhere except her lips and face.  And of course she was so proud.

Anyway, this Christmas season was eventful, and our annual festivities of Christmas haven't even started.  We got the largest tree we ever have...11 ft.  It was fun to decorate and admire until the base cracked and leaked water everywhere.  Then it tipped over.  Since then, it hasn't been able to be straight upright.  So next year or before next year we need a bigger tree stand.  

I wrote in this year's Christmas letter that I knew by next year at this time, Trevor would probably be able to beat both Russ and I at chess.  Well, I didn't even last a week beyond the letter.  Granted, I don't know much else other than how each of the pieces move, but Trevor already has such patience and foresight to know how to strategize a winning game. 

Music has probably been the biggest change to my family Christmas season memory.  As long as there is a song playing on our all-Christmas music station, she likes it.  Her new favorite is Rockin' around the Christmas tree.  I had a Kidz Bop CD in the pile of Christmas music that has a version of that song on it, which has been played plenty.  Along with the Muppets Christmas and a few other songs that I haven't heard on the radio.  What I will remember most about this year was that if Gwen heard a song on the radio, even just once or twice, it would often get stuck in her head and randomly she would belt it out.  My favorite is when she out of the blue started singing the song that we heard from Wham!...I think the title is "Last Christmas".  It really got me because she only had part of the chorus, and I tried to help her out, but I got stuck, and she filled it right in:  "Last Christmas...I gave you my heart..but the very next day, you gave it away.  This year, I'll save you from....."  Quickly, Gwen said "tears mom."  and she finished the lyrics.


So now we get into the creative side of the kids.  As I said before, Gwen really has been into building things, and while I have never seen that side of Trevor, he is creative in his own way.  He prefers to be creative with board games as in this instance.  I think he is finally realize that Gwen can be a playmate, especially with board games.  This game, doesn't really have a name, other than Trevor calling it a combination of all the games they use:  "Monopoly, Life, Jenga".  They use the car and houses or hotels from Monopoly, build garages and houses with Jenga pieces, then play out their lives with cards (career cards), money, and spinning the wheel from the game of Life.  I almost didn't want to make them move, but it was a school day.  I hope there are many of these days in the week off of school.  I like that I don't always have to be breaking up fights.

And these last two pictures, are for Gwen.  She asked me one day this week to build things with the Legos in the basement.  I'm not sure why they were out in the first place, but these are Trevor's legos.  He had gotten an airport to build a large airplane, star wars ships and figures, as well as other activities I'm sure that I don't even remember.  They eventually ended up in a box or two in the basement.  So anyway, they were out and Gwen wanted to play with them, so I put her where she wouldn't get into anything and let her go at it.  It took her at least an hour or so to come up with this boat.  The bottom part is part of an airplane but everything else she added.  I thought she did a great job.  It didn't seem like she was very interested in really playing with it once it was built, but I am just amazed that she saw all the pieces and picked them out in order to come up with what she did.  

So while there wasn't enough snow this season for it to be a white Christmas, I think that there will be ways for the kids to entertain themselves if they don't have a chance to be outside.  Merry Christmas!

No comments: