Friday, December 9, 2011

Christmas Traditions

Remembering years past with the kids, I always thought I would enjoy, as they would, the same Christmas traditions.  Most of the time, in fact, I insist on them.  This year, I have tried to allow for some changes, while keeping most things the same.  And then I see how some of the traditions have lost their interest.  I don't know if it is their age, or if it is truly not as interesting, or if I'm more of a scrooge than usual.

Here are some changes to year's past:  We got our Christmas Tree early, although not significantly, and it is at least 3 ft taller than usual.  We have always had it in the room with a vaulted ceiling, but this year we truly took advantage of it.  As a result, we had to buy more lights and garland...and maybe an ornament or two :-)

I have had to change out Gwen's Christmas Stocking at her request to a light blue Cinderella stocking.  The rest of ours are Winnie the Pooh red ones.  She had Elmo last year, but has never really gotten into him, so it really didn't make sense to keep her to that one. 

Although the traditions are still there, the feelings have changed:  Frankincense was scary at first to both Trevor and Gwen, is not as interesting, unless they use it as a weapon against the other sibling when they are doing something bad....for example Trevor says to Gwen, "Oh...Frankincense did you see that?  Gwen wasn't being a good listener.  Make sure you report that back to Santa."  I've been trying to balance it all out when I catch the kids behaving too, but it for sure isn't as magical as he once was.  The chocolate advent calendars are being used, but often forgotten in the morning.  I remember last year and the other years, 5 minutes would not go by when the kids were awake and they both had their chocolate in hand for the day.  Christmas movies:  Gwen has the choice to watch them twice a week or so while Trevor is at school and she would rather not.  Trevor, if given the choice currently wants to watch Diary of a Wimpy Kid which he got for his birthday.  It is a very good adaptation from the book, but over a Christmas movie?  I'm a little bummed.  The books are way too young for Trevor now.  He has to read 20+ minutes a day and thankfully he has a whole new selection with the series of Magic Tree House and the last three books of Diary of a Wimpy kid.  Gwen's only interest in the books are of course the one Princess Christmas book we have.  All the others could go out the door.  Again, I'm a little bummed. 

We still have yet to visit Santa at the mall.  I think I'm going to bring the kids next week on Thursday.  I have to add to my collection!  On the topic of pictures, I took the annual pictures in front of the tree and they both did very well at that.  Those are ordered and will be here soon so they will be sent out shortly.  I had my annual cookie swap, and got a good deal of cookies that have almost all been eaten.  Those were yummy! 

Something that they are both excited about is that they are both going to carry in two parts of the Nativity scene at church on Christmas Eve.  Gwen will have Mary and Trevor will have Joseph.  I couldn't have gotten baby Jesus if I wanted to, but I knew that would not be a good idea.  Major fighting would ensue.  But that is another thing that has lost interest - our Fisher Price Nativity.  It was opened and set up but not played with except the occasional song every once in a while.  Oh well.  Kids grow up, I guess it cannot always be as exciting as the first year.  I'm guessing Christmas Eve and Christmas Morning will hold the same magic.  That I'll hold onto for as long as I can!

No comments: