Wednesday, April 4, 2012

So Far, So Good

So we are halfway done with the kids' spring break, and I have to say I'm not as crazy as I thought it was going to make me.  I love routines and knew that this week wasn't going to be a regular one.  I wondered if we would get decent weather to be able to do things outside.  I have a few errands to run, ones that I would rather the kids didn't have to tag along to, and it has worked out wonderfully so far. 

I was very scared at first when the forecast was predicted to be wonderful:  High 70s and sunny both days.  And then Saturday was overcast and barely made it into the 50s.  We had planned to be outdoors on Saturday, but that quickly changed and we changed gears to head to the Works museum, which we had never been to before.  The kids loved it!  I will have to bring them back on my own because Russ quickly tired of the few activities that he was interested in.  I never mind letting them run off and play on their own as long as they are being safe, I can see them, and they have a fun time.  Gwen could have spent all day in the block building area as she is my builder, and Trevor could have spent all his time at the pinewood derby race-like structure where you could build your own car and race it down a timed track.  He is my racer.  He made me chuckle because he was determined to prove that his one wheel would be the fastest thing out there, but Russ proved him wrong.  He made a very well-designed car that speeded past his one wheel. 

Sunday, we had a low key day with a piano lesson.  It was a nicer day to be outside but it still didn't really start to get warm until well after lunchtime.  Then the days of the break really started.  Monday, we actually spend most of the day running to the airport to help some families out.  And then went out to my parents place for dinner.  Tuesday, I spent most of the day at the car dealership getting the car brought up on its maintenance.  Today, I promised to bring the kids to a local park and they lasted a good hour and a half.  It was as busy as I have ever seen it, especially since I was pretty sure there weren't any day care or school like field trips going on.  I will say though that I was glad that my kids don't have to be helped through the maze of slides and climbing things around anymore.  Trevor met up with a few people at school and Gwen found some friends to play with as well.  Tomorrow the kids are going to my parents for the night so I can get some more cleaning and organizing done.  Then we are on to the weekend. 

Trevor's only real hope was that his break wasn't filled with lots of homework, and it hasn't been so I'm pretty sure it will be a success in his eyes.  Gwen has been tired out as she got hit with a cold over the past few days so she has actually been napping.  Her hearing has also gone again as a result of the cold.  But I'm thankful there isn't snow on the ground, it hasn't been raining during the day, and the kids are getting the outdoor time that they need.  So while not a usual spring break for us, it has been a nice break from the crazy routine and gearing up for the end of school.  Can't blink now or you will miss it!

No comments: