Saturday, March 24, 2012

It is baseball season....here anyway

The Twins may still be another month away from the start of their season, but with the big thaw and days of 80 degrees already hitting here, our baseball season has started!  I have tested the idea that the kids can safely play outside in the backyard for stretches of time, and it appears to be the case.  I have no problem bringing them back inside where they do not prefer to be on beautiful days such as today. 

But as soon as the snow is gone, and the sun warms up the air, Trevor goes into baseball mode.  He would spend most of the day being pitched to, playing catch with, or imagining his own baseball game if he has a chance.  And now, I even allow for Gwen to be a part of it, if they can find ways to not get into big fights.  It can quickly go downhill if it has been too long (about 2 hours is the longest I've seen last), later in the day, hunger is setting in, or someone is in a bad mood to begin with.  I also know enough not to allow anything harder than wiffle balls and foam bats, and so far that hasn't been an issue. 

Of course Trevor has his 1,000 rules to which Gwen tries to stand her ground, but it appears as though being outside with Trevor outweighs the being inside playing by herself.  Even Trevor does seem a little more agreeable if he knows it is a play or not play decision with her.  Today, he was outside and wanted her to come and play baseball.  He was calling to her to come and talk to him, and when she did, he explained he wanted to challenge her to a game of baseball.  They could never be on the same team...at least I haven't heard of it yet.  He is the Twins, and she should be the Red Sox.  "But Trevor, I don't have red socks...see???  I have pink socks."  Then, Trevor has to explain that you don't have to have red socks to be on the Red Sox team. 

Or when she does let him call the game....he tells her that with her pitching, she drew a walk, so he tells her:  "Yeah....I get to go to 1st base.  That was 4 balls, its a walk." 

"Trevor!  You have to WALK.  You aren't walking!!" 

I wonder if this is something that she will enjoy doing or if she doesn't care enough to do it on her own.  Only time will tell.  But for now, I'm enjoying that the kids can be outside for at least a little while so I can get a few things done. 

No comments: