Monday, September 10, 2012

Week 1 kids are back in school!

Yahoo!  Mom's sure excited here!  We are a week down of school and everyone is still smiling!  Trevor had the least amount of change because most of his class followed into the next class, they just changed teachers.  There was one that transferred schools over the summer and three added, but only one from a different school.  I have already gotten notes home from his teacher on his classwork on how well he is doing and how impressed she is with his work.  And he is soaking it all up.  He told me he befriended the new girl in class that came from a different school.  Trevor said that she wants to write a book, and he said that he wanted to illustrate it with her.  At first, I thought it was a guy and then he clarified it was a girl.  Then I started to count back to realize that next year will probably be the year (if it was anything like my school) that kids started "going out" - meaning absolutely nothing except in name only.  Oh goodness.  Already???  REALLY????  I don't know that I am ready for that...but really I probably never will be so time to suck it up!  I'm looking forward to getting a good game plan on for Trevor to see how much he can learn this year. 

Gwen is so gosh darn excited for school every day.  The first day was huge, except that it is simply an hour and a half meeting with parents involved.  So technically the first real day was the next day, but from that point on, she has been telling me she wants to go all day, and when I told her that she couldn't be with her good friends that are in her class she said she still wanted to go all day, but that she would just bring them with her.  And the talks begin about how she can't wait until she is in first grade so she can go all day.  Now yes, there is a full-day option at her school, but I'm at home, and really Gwen has been looking forward to doing things with me and spending time playing with me and then gets amped up watching the clock to know when she gets to go to Kindergarten.  She also seems to think it is really cool to be able to walk past her classroom in the morning and peek in to see her teacher.  I'm glad she is having such a great experience!  I'm also so happy to know that she has an opportunity to expand her friends even though two of the girls she knows - one from dance and one from preschool - it will be great to be able to get to know their families better too. 

So this week, we are already in the thick of things with a PTA meeting, dance class, swimming lessons and I have been able to get some appointments for myself on the calendar too.  So this week, while hectic, it has been good to start to set a revised schedule.  Of course Trevor is already testing those rules to see if they still hold true, but I'm hoping that he'll come around quicker than usual since for him, the changes are virtually nothing.  I guess I should focus on gearing up for the upcoming birthdays/holidays.  I know those things pop up on me every year.  I'd love to actually be ready for them one of these years!

No comments: