Saturday, February 13, 2010

What's Tomorrow, Today?

It has been years since I heard this expression. Russ was asking about what Trevor used to say, and "What's tomorrow, today?" was the expression. Gwen has been understanding that when I talk to her about what we are doing the next day, she gets it. She has skipped over the expression that Trevor said, and is right on the "What's tomorrow?" It has happened over just this past week, and there is still some confusion over what actually happens, but this morning she was quick to remember that it was Dad's birthday today. It was the first thing I heard from the monitor this morning.

So I was telling Russ about it, and then he mentioned to Gwen that it was Tracy's birthday today too. And she was going to have none of it. "No, it's Daddy's birthday." Again, and again, and again. Likewise, when I told her yesterday that her friend Ellen was going to come over, she thought that meant she was going to her house. Because that was what happened last week. Every time she asked about Ellen, I kept saying she was coming over. And Gwen kept asking if we were going over to her house.

Also, last night was Trevor's first friend sleep-over. He had a great time, as I knew he would although I don't know how much of his bad behavior was related to the excitement of it, or his school party, or what. But lately he has been pretty challenging. I'm wondering if sleepovers are going to be his new motivating factor in his behavior. If I could have, I would have taken his sleepover away from him, but it got to be too late. So I have already explained that he needs some major behavior changes if he wants to have another sleepover. And he already asked when the next sleepover will be. ARGH.

Finally, there is this impending winter to get over. It is much harder to take time for myself in the winter than it is in the summer. In the summer I have golf. Add to it a nice wine dinner, most of the time nice weather to add a little Vitamin D to my system and it make the days that much easier. But in the winter, we always have a lot going on, and less time for me to take care of me. Now I have school work to add to the mix. I went back and counted 3 times in the past 3 months that I have had alone time. Not so good for my well-being. And what makes it hard is that, like I said, it's hard to even find anything comparable to my golf night. Bingo is fun. Poker is fun. I just don't know what would be the best use of my time and money. How about a quick zap to Hawaii? THAT would do wonders for me. Unrealistic? Yes.

Such is the life of a busy mom. We'll see what can be done soon....

No comments: