Monday, March 22, 2010

The rest of the trip

Whew....that went by to fast. Although by the last day, both kids were exhausted, yet not ready to "give up". They both adjusted to the two hour time difference (one hour daylight savings time) right away and never slept past 7:15 EST. On Wednesday, the kids watched the Princess and the Frog, which was a big hit for the rest of the trip. On Wednesday afternoon Trevor got to play his 9 holes of golf. He is very ready to advance to the 3 hole league for his golf school. There was a very short par 3 that he was putting for par for. He is slowly coming along with putting, and as soon as someone can convince him to switch his hands while holding his golf clubs, he will be all set. He does the same thing when he bats. He has a really strong swing, just not holding the club or the bat the correct way. And if you try to get him to swing right handed, he doesn't like it at all.

There was a hole that he had to hit over a small water patch where he hit it into the water. After which he slammed the club into the ground 3-4 times, but did not yell or scream or anything. My dad looked at me and said, "I wonder where he gets that from?" I don't doubt that Russ has corrected his own similar behavior, but I do think it is something that is hereditary. I have never been competitive. I just enjoy the event that I'm taking part in. I have my good days and bad, but I never seem to get frustrated. Must be my genes.

Anyway, Trevor wanted to keep playing after 9 holes, and probably could have but it was time to be done. He loves to golf.

It was unfortunate that Trevor seemed to get another mild cold while we were on the trip. His cough from his first cold seemed to get better, but then he got worse and more congested before having his cough lighten up by the end. So he has been coughing now for 3 weeks. Strangely, it never really seemed to bother him. It would keep him awake, but not awake enough to be upset. And definitely not enough to keep him from doing anything.

Friday morning we all went to the beach. It was within a 15 minute drive of the house, but it was still pretty chilly in the morning so the kids still kept their jackets on while we were there. That helped with the sun protection because it was a bright sunny day that morning. Trevor and Gwen both put their toes in the water and felt the waves on their feet. Gwen was sort of puzzled by the fact that the waves weren't coming up to the same place every time. She often had to run out of the way of them because she wasn't sure what they were doing. One time, she was brave enough to go out to Trevor, but when she saw a bigger wave coming, she tried to run back to me but tripped and got her pants and jacket wet. She wasn't upset, but the gulf water was really chilly. Trevor got some sand and shells to bring back to Minnesota and we were off. It was a really good idea to get out there early before the rest of the crowd started to come.

Although I could have gotten more golfing in, I decided to get more sun than anything. The kids would have swam any chance they got, and by the end I think they had enough swimming. Trevor would get out of the pool when he was done without having to be asked (not like in the beginning of the week, we had to give them 5 minute warnings) and Gwen didn't really mind if we offered her a snack or something, she was ok getting out as well. The pool water was kept really warm for me so I was ok swimming the last few days.

I also attended the golf dinners that Russ and his dad was playing in that week. The food was wonderful. The golfers finished first in their group and second overall. So it was a good week for them as well.

I will be posting pictures soon. The trip home and the kids is another story. Not one I particularly want to remember, but one I want to document so if I ever need proof, I will have it.

No comments: