Sunday, March 28, 2010

Who said they could grow up, anyway?

So while Trevor has been growing by leaps and bounds...literally, Gwen seems to be taking a step back. I have no problem with Gwen. She wanted to grow up too fast. All of a sudden she went from dong things like feeding herself and not having any issues sleeping at night to wanting to be fed and sung to sleep. It really was limited to spoon or fork feedings. If it was something that was finger food, she was always ok with that, but things like cereal in the mornings, she has pretty much boycotted unless someone is willing to feed her. Then going to bed, I'm still primarily the one that has to put her to sleep. That is usually how it goes. Really, I think both kids enjoy to be put to bed by me. It is a pretty heart-warming time for me. But instead of reading to Gwen at night, she has been asking me to sing to her. She picks the songs, and they usually are my playlist of songs I used to sing to her when she was an infant, with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star thrown in there.

Then we have Trevor. He has already increased his appetite threefold. Happily his milk intake has gone up too. I remember when he was younger, he would always seem to hit his growth spurt right after we had our yearly or 6 month appointment at the doctor. Yet he was already at the 90% plus for height and weight. However, recently a lot of people have remarked how much taller he seems. I can't really say I noticed, but I think that was because I was always right there every day. But we measured him the other day. At his 6 year appointment, he was 48 inches. He is now close to two inches taller than that. I double checked what the information sheet said at his appointment and it stated that for the next two years, the average growth was 2 inches a year. Although they also said that the height requirement for being out of a booster seat in a car was 4'9". Given that growth, he wouldn't be out until he was over 10 years old. Although when I expressed my shock to Trevor when he was measured, he was confused. So I had to explain that I didn't want him to grow so fast. But really, with his age, he doesn't really grasp being anything but literal. So if you ask him about his height, he'll probably tell you something like , "But mom doesn't think I should be growing anymore." or something that I didn't actually mean for him to take literally.

Time for the next events of our lives!

No comments: