Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

It's another Mother's Day! I cannot believe I have been a mother for 7 years now. 8 if you count when I was pregnant. It is really starting to get fun to talk to Trevor about these special days and see what he decides to do with them. I do admit, I try to play it up a little bit by saying he has to be really nice to me on Mother's Day. Hey, with my birthday on Christmas, what other day do I really get? So after I said that, he continued by asking me what my favorite breakfast and lunch was. We already had dinner plans to eat at my favorite restaurant, so he knew that dinner was taken care of. My choice for breakfast was an omelet. My choice for lunch was a salami sandwich. This was pretty early on Saturday morning, but he proceeded to run upstairs after he asked me what went into making my favorite meals and asked Russ how to make them. He was still asleep, but he woke up and humored him by asking him to check to see if we had what we needed to make my meals. We actually didn't have everything, so closer to noon, the kids headed out to the grocery store. As with a lot of Trevor's ideas, I could see him getting more and more excited.

Well, last night he switched his sleepover because he had to stay home from school on Friday. He had a fever in the middle of the night, that although it went away by the morning, I couldn't send him to school. I told his friend that it would be better to come over the next night. The kids don't have school on Monday, so it was a long weekend anyway. Trevor had a blast playing with his friend last night and this morning, and after he left he was very nice to me. I was served my requested breakfast, of course by Russ, and Trevor didn't seem to notice, but afterwards asked me if I liked it. I think I'm going to postpone my lunch for the rest of the week because I had to run to talk about my favorite thing (accounting!) to a potential fun project in the coming weeks. I also got my grades back from my last session, and those were what I had hoped for, so things are really going well for me today. Although our first floor does not look much different, I spent most of my time cleaning this week on the bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs.

My cleaning project is a story by itself. I knew I was going to have to get the kids involved or at least keep them occupied because the work was upstairs and they can't be by themselves un-entertained for long periods of time. Unfortunately, I cannot have Gwen cleaning with anything that might actually be used for cleaning. I tried having her wiping, but she got some cleaning stuff on that and tried to put it in her mouth. I tried giving her a wet washcloth to stick in her mouth, and of course that was a bad idea. So the bathroom project was wiping down an already clean whirlpool bathtub. They could both fit in the tub and clean it for a good 20 minutes because they had to take the toys out first. Then when I moved downstairs, I had them wipe down their kitchen set toys with a wet paper towel. Again, that ended up in Gwen's mouth, but I knew at least that wasn't harmful. She was wiping off the table.

I was surprised at how much Trevor wanted to help and do everything that I did. Maybe I can get him to do the bathrooms by showing him how much "fun" they are and he'll never even know that it is a chore. Wouldn't that be nice for me!

So anyway, although it may not seem like a fun-filled day for some, I am really happy with where I'm act, especially today. So wonderfully blessed to have such great children, and a wonderful husband to help support us all. I wish everyone a Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: