Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What a weekend!

Really, it was a weekend in terms of the number of hours, but it felt so much shorter since we tried to jam so much into it. Last Thursday and Friday I participated in an annual garage sale that my mom friends had. We got rid of a bunch of stuff, which always feels really good. It went on during the day on Thursday and Friday. So we were able to hang out over at their house during the morning and into the afternoon on both days. We had decent weather, although it could have been nicer. The weather has been strange lately. As I'm writing it is almost 80 degrees, but forecasted to be a high in the 50's for the next 4 days or so.

Although it was Kentucky Derby weekend, it was also Trevor's school carnival on Friday evening. They had been advertising it since March, so it would have been hard for him to not go to it. I also wanted to see what it is all about since chances are I'm going to have to help out at it at some point through PTA. They used the entire school. The library was set up for silent auction stuff. The cafeteria was set up for a rock band/karaoke prize game thing with raffle things going on and food as well. The gym had a bounce house, inflatable slide, and race car computer games. I think there were close to 30 games that the kids could play, and almost any age could do it. Trevor saw two of his classmates have a fake broken arm, and that made him want to check out the hospital room. He got a "cut" on his forehead which he loved to show off. Trevor's pediatrician has two kids that also go to the same school, so when we ran into him, his doctor was the first to notice and say, "You look like you need a doctor!" Of course Trevor doesn't really get the irony and explains that it isn't real. He also got to show it off to Bubba when he saw her that evening. I guess he played the part and got her pretty good.

So we headed off to Hatfield as soon as we could tear the kids away from the school party. It was about an hour that we were there. We missed our usual Stone's Throw dinner, but we were happy to be there, nonetheless. The kids played well with their (what are they again?) second cousins. The exciting Derby was run. I again did not win, although my horse placed second, which I think might be my closest finish yet. I cannot claim to have broken my maiden yet. We played our card games and dominoes, and came home early afternoon on Sunday.

Ever since graduating from High School, I have always looked forward to our annual Kentucky Derby races as the start of our season of trips to the lake. Unfortunately, this was my last week of classes before my week off, and I had a paper to submit by Sunday evening and a 50 question final exam for Accounting due the end of day Tuesday. Ever since around the trip to Florida in March, my cleaning has gone down the tubes. I need to get through this day before I can start my crazy cleaning again. Now, if the weather would just be nicer, I could deal with it better!

No comments: