Friday, May 14, 2010

You would think this week would be bad....

But it was really good. Really, really good. I know I'm going to forget like half of the stuff that went on this week, so I may have to come back and rewrite a few things. We'll have to see how that goes.

Going all the way back to Monday. It seems like forever ago. It was Trevor's first baseball game. It was raining and cold and windy. Not exactly good weather for watching baseball. It reminded me of 13 years ago, watching Russ pitch in the pouring rain. This time, I at least remembered an umbrella, and thankfully I didn't bring Gwen with me, or else we would have had to sit in the car. Gwen was able to stay at home with Grandma and Amy. She was perfectly happy doing so.

Tuesday, instead of going to golf, there were two meetings I was attending at school. One was on a new multi-age class set up for next year that will have half 1st graders, and half 2nd graders. My brothers participated in these types of classes growing up, but I didn't get the chance. Before going to the meeting on the subject, I was actually turned off to the idea. The more I thought about it, and listened to the arguments, the more I thought it might be a good fit for Trevor. After discussing it with Russ, and Trevor's current teacher, the more it made sense. So right now, we have tossed his name into the ring. We will have to see if it works out, but for now, it may.

Wednesday, we decided to go out and bring Trevor to the science museum while Gwen hung out with my mom. My dad, my brothers and I all would go to the science museum at least once a year, sometimes more depending on what the exhibits were. The last time we were at the Children's Museum, it was obvious that Trevor was getting a little too old for it. We had also been at the Science Museum when the Star Wars exhibit had been there. At the time, it was a little too old for him, but there was still a lot to do. So this time, my dad came with us, and decided to go on all the attractions. We did the omnitheater, and saw the exhibit which was the "Dead Sea Scrolls". We got there almost at 2:00 which turned out to be great because while there could have been schools there, they had left at that time to get back to school. So Trevor had his run of the place. The places that excited him the most were the human body, specifically the girl that when you opened a door of her face, she "sneezed" and blew out water. But there was also a lot of time at the microscope looking at different things like muscles, bones, and other small objects. He also loved the weather part, where they created a smoke tornado that you could break up. I think it might have helped him feel a little bit better about tornadoes, seeing as how we always seem to talk about how dangerous and destructive they can be. He also made it through the omnitheater performance of "Arabia". Yeah, not my choice of fun for a young kid, and there wasn't enough cool feeling when they did the scenery to keep him interested. But to his credit, he made it through without much complaining. Then on to the Dead Sea Scrolls. I think what saved this was that they had a cell phone-like automated tour guide that you entered numbers on a sign that talked about what you did. They had a "family" guide and an "adult" guide. I decided to go on the family guide to keep up with Trevor. We simply played the who can find the next number first. I think the historical significance was lost on me. Again, I was glad that Trevor survived through it without much complaining. The other thing that Trevor enjoyed doing while we were there was that right at the entrance to the exhibits, they had a "newscaster" place where someone could sit in front of a teleprompter and try to become a newscaster. Can you imagine how much time Trevor wanted to do this? If you know him, he was right at home doing this. So overall, I think it was perfectly age appropriate, and it still gave him exposure to things that he may not understand or appreciate, but at least I didn't think he would outgrow it anytime soon.

Thursday, Kyrsten came over to watch the kids for me while I did some accountant stuff. You should see how much Gwen enjoys having girls over to play. Especially ones that are willing to pay her a lot of attention. Russ also came home around dinner time so the kids had some time with him as well. Today, I did Trevor's Friday stations at school, for the last time. Russ will be doing it next Friday, but after that, Trevor will be done with them! He only has 4 weeks left of school as a Kindergartner. I asked him today how he felt about that, and he said he was a little excited, but also a little sad. I am happy to say that he seems to be heading down ending it on a good note. We haven't had nearly as many issues recently as in the past, and I think he just needed more direction to help him figure out how to better behave.

While the weather here this week, until today, has been rainy and cold, we have had so much going on, it has been not even on my mind. Also, I have been asked to look at a start-up company's accounting records which has REALLY pumped me up. It is so clear, by how much I enjoy doing this sort of thing, that it really is the right career for me to get in to.

So that's all I can remember for now. Whew! Hopefully I don't have much more to report for now. Bring on the hot weather!!!!

No comments: