Sunday, January 2, 2011

Our Four Christmases

I believe the last time I posted was to say that Trevor's final day of school was done before the Holiday break. He said that he had 12 days off of school and I asked him if he felt like it was a long time. He said that he did think it was a long time. Coming back from our New Years celebration and driving past his school, explaining that he was going back there in two more days, I again asked him if he felt like 12 days had past. He said no, he felt like he still had 12 days to go. I completely agree....our 12 days have flown by, mostly because we have been able to have multiple celebrations and such exciting events for the kids that it really hasn't seemed like much time has passed at all.

Our first Christmas was kicked off on Christmas Eve with Trevor waking me up a little after 5am. He totally had me fooled because I don't always look at the clock when he gets up. I explain he can go back and play in his room until I come to get him or he could go downstairs. After he decided to go downstairs, I then checked the clock. Our rules are not to go downstairs until after 7:00. I knew how he felt however, as I had been known to wake up extra early on Christmas morning because I was so excited. With his being allowed to bring down the donkey for Christmas Eve church service and the fact that our Christmases started that evening, he was the same way as I was, way back then. And asking him to try to go back to sleep was useless.

We went to church, enjoyed Trevor showing his donkey to the congregation and pose for his picture, and then he crashed. I had hoped that he would make it to the car so he could rest for a little longer, but I guess he took what he needed. Gwen was a hoot to have in church too as she would hear the priest talk about Jesus and want to chime in. They were learning about him in Preschool so she was quick to cue into the service being about Jesus.

We went from church to Grandma's house. We had our yummy dinner followed by the opening of gifts. It is always fun to start out the Christmases with them as I have for over 10 years now. We head home so that we can beat Santa home and put the kids to bed. Santa got some milk and cookies before the kids rushed upstairs to go to bed. I was interested to see if Trevor would pull another early morning the next day, but he didn't. Simply up at his usual time, a few minutes before 7. We waited until 7 to wake up Gwen who was really sad to learn that she didn't get to see Santa. She said she wanted to give him a hug. What a sweetheart. We then got downstairs and saw the kids' joy of celebrating Christmas in our own house. Especially given the fact that Gwen really didn't know what to make of it all. I will bet that she made a lot of good memories for next year.

We then made the trip out to Bubba and Papa's house for the third Christmas and my birthday. As is tradition, Christmas is celebrated first, followed by my birthday. The boys and kids got to go outside for a little playtime in the snow and I got to enjoy peace and quiet for a few moments. It was a good birthday surrounded by great family. Thanks to everyone for making it special.

Our fourth Christmas happened the next day, where we had more gifts and dinner at Grampa's house. We were so blessed to be able to spend that dinner with Great Grandma too. The kids got treated to ice skating after dinner which they really enjoyed.

From that point on, we have had random hockey practices, dinners, and a trip to the lake house before Bubba and Papa head to Florida. I just finished taking down our Christmas decorations so we are ready to head to school tomorrow. I'm also looking at starting Gwen on dance lessons and Trevor with piano lessons. It may just be a busy year for us, but it will be great. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new year brings us all!

No comments: