Sunday, January 30, 2011

Why does there have to be a down side?

For the past few weeks, I really think there has been made huge strides in having the kids play together. I have been trying to do my part by staying out of just about any part in it. Even if there involves hitting, I try to keep away. If I were to pull Trevor away every time he swatted at Gwen, she would keep antagonizing him so that he would keep getting in trouble. The other day I did have to pull him off of her because he did hit her square in the face, but after he did it he was quick to apologize because, "I wasn't aiming for her face." I am ok with the wrestling, hitting, whatever else as long as isn't something that could land someone in the hospital. They are both getting pretty good at giving each other the usual jabs, and Trevor knows when Gwen is going to hurt him such as when she bites him, so he runs away or screams at her to stop.

Anyway, for a while they were playing with the Mario characters. The game was something like Mario and his friends were trying to save Princess Peach. In the mean time, some of Gwen's dolls were hanging out in a dollhouse that makes noise. Trevor would be the voice of many of the Mario characters, and knock on the door or ring the doorbell of the dollhouse and talk to the dolls to explain to them everything that was going on and what they were going to do. A lot of the time, the phone would ring in the dollhouse and another character would also talk to a doll also explaining what was going on. Sometimes, it would even get so exciting as to actually get a character and go out and seek the princess.

Shortly after these fun games, Trevor got sick. He started coughing on Monday, and I could tell he was coming down with yet another cold. He had a really rough night Monday, didn't go to school on Tuesday, had another rough night on Tuesday, spiked a 103 fever on Wednesday, and then couldn't go to school on Thursday as a result. A very strange side-effect of Trevor's bad cold or maybe the flu? He did get his flu shot this year.... He has been having really weird nightmares or dreams. And they are such where he isn't ever awake, but he is really upset. Monday he put himself in the bathroom and cried for me, not ever able to finish a sentence. Tuesday, he opened his closet, took out part of a dress that I had worn as a bridesmaid which ended up on his bed and also cried out for me. Again, not able to explain anything...just jumbled words. Wednesday, he was out of his bed and in our bathroom, talking jumbled...looking for me. Every time, I simply try to talk soothing words, put him back in bed, and give him a hug or two. I guess thankfully he never remembers any of it the next day. It is just so weird to be watching someone with their eyes open, trying to talk but not really able to, and then they don't remember any of it when they are truly awake the next day.

Trevor's energy as a result of his sickness wasn't all that great, particularly on Wednesday when he had such a high fever. On Thursday, he was almost his old self but couldn't go back to school. He started playing with Gwen again, and when he did go back to school on Friday, Gwen told him how sad she was that he had to go back to school, and he told me how he just wanted a few more minutes to play with her. I think he was really looking forward to going back to school though as well.

So of course, Gwen has gotten sick and it is a result of playing so close with Trevor. So far, no spiked fever, but lots of yucky coughing and sneezing. She also got her flu shot so maybe it just makes it a bit more bearable for them. This morning, Gwen slept for almost 12 hours and was up a little after 8am, and Trevor slept also until after 8...which is unheard of in his sleep patterns.

A new game has also been started. This is only the second day they have been playing it, and it may not be the most child-friendly game, but it is called, "Robbery". The kids go and rob things. I get the feeling they might not exactly know what it means, but like I'm going to explain it so they stop playing it? I don't think so. Gwen dresses up as a princess, and Trevor puts on his Zelda hat, and they go robbing. I have to record a quote that Trevor said because it really made me laugh. Gwen was trying to play with one of her baby dolls, and she was suggesting things that they could do with it. Somehow Gwen decided they should throw rocks at the baby, to which Trevor said, "If we throw rocks at the baby, we will have to go to jail and eat bugs." I have no idea where he came up with that, and he comes up with such imaginative answers to her questions, that I knew I was going to have to record that one.

No comments: