Wednesday, January 19, 2011

SCORE!

This post is going to be about the uses of the word "SCORE". The first part is my two trips in the past 5 nights to twice winning Gopher Basketball games. My first date night was with Russ, and my second date night was with Trevor.

With Russ there were guys in front of us that made comments as if they were coaches themselves. I am fuzzy myself on a lot of the rules of the game as I don't know that I have watched enough to remember what fouls are called when. But they were two good teams that night.

With Trevor, it was much more unevenly matched, but it was fun to bring him to the game. We got to eat Trevor's favorite meal: hot dog with popcorn. He discovered that there is a player who happened to be player of the game that night and he happens to share the same first name as he does. No comments please from the gallery on the lack of quality off of the court of this player. I did point out that this Trevor did need to work on his free throws. Anyway, I hope to continue both annual traditions if my dad keeps getting season tickets.

And the second score of the week....Trevor's second piano lesson. His teacher is a great fit for Trevor. After his lesson, his teacher told me that he (Trevor) is taking to it very well. He can tell that he has a good sense of rhythm and they introduced the metronome. Before the lesson Trevor was telling me that he was looking forward to showing his teacher how well and how much he practiced. And while the lesson was going on, I could not help but overhear how his teacher was trying to teach Trevor why and how he could learn to keep his eyes on the music and less on his hands. I was entertaining Gwen by having her watch a Netflix on the Wii, so his teacher saw that we had a wii. But he asked anyway, to Trevor: "Does your family have a Wii?" Trevor: "Yes." His teacher: "Do you know of the Mario Brother games?" Trevor: "YES!" His teacher: "Do you ever play Super Mario Galaxy?" Trevor: "Yeah, we have both 1 and 2!" His teacher: "Well, you know how when you are Mario and you see that you have to jump on the TV, you don't look down at the control to push the jump button, you just do it?" Trevor: "Yeah, like when you have to jump on top of an enemy?" His teacher: "Yes....well, just like that game, you should try to watch the music and use your fingers to play without looking down at them." Trevor: "Ok!" Score one for Trevor's teacher....and you will never guess what game Trevor wanted to play for his Nintendo time that day.....yep - Super Mario Galaxy.

In addition to that, for Trevor's assigned practice songs, he has been playing Old MacDonald. I know he read the title of the piece when he was practicing it, but when the song was recognizable to him, he wanted to play it over and over and over and ask Gwen to see if she could recognize it, and play it more and more and more....I knew that once he found a song he recognized he would enjoy it all that much more. And with the addition of the metronome, he has a goal to try to not only play the song, but play it at the correct tempo. I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be a huge goal for Trevor to keep playing it and practicing it until he can play it for his teacher at his next lesson. I wouldn't even be surprised if he goes over his allotted practice time, it actually appears fun to him. Score one for mom and Trevor :-)

No comments: