Thursday, March 3, 2011

What's going on

Again, this title has dual meaning. There have been a lot of activities going on within the last few days, but at the same time, I'm asking myself "What is going ON?!?!?" particularly with Gwen.

Last Sunday we were able to participate in a fundraiser at the Waterpark of America. The kids and I, Kyrsten and Tracy all went toward the end of summer. It was much more busy this time, but for the price it was very tough to pass up. Trevor enjoyed playing on the jungle-gym type area, even though it was for younger kids. Gwen played on it too, but she had to have someone nearby to help shield her from the gigantic barrel of water that occasionally dropped down on top of everyone. Primarily she just went up and down the slide that was more her size. Trevor did get to go down the big slides with dad on two occasions, but soon enough it was time to go. Trevor was quick to say that the water park plus his goal at the parents vs. kids game for hockey made it the best day ever! He just has the rest of the week before hockey is done for the season, which to him also signals the end of winter. YIPEE!!!

Now, the kids are done with swimming lessons, so that is something gone for the time being, but piano lessons keep coming. Trevor now knows a significant portion of reading music. I'm curious to know if he translates it to his music class at school, but regardless, his teacher remarked at how well he knew his songs for the lesson both playing and in rhythm. What I find very interesting is that Trevor's ability to memorize things is becoming more apparent. It does take him a day or two to learn new pieces but he gets to the end of the practice week and he has the pieces memorized. I don't know that he tries, but he just does. Oh...and one other noteworthy event for Trevor, he has graduated from addition time tests to subtraction time tests. He is 5 answers short of starting his finishing subtraction, and then I don't know what will happen. He knows about multiplication, but I'm not sure if we are going to have to have him memorize those facts as well? I guess we'll see what happens.

Now Gwen....my oh my. She returned to the childcare school yesterday, and seemed to have a good time. She had a special day at preschool on Tuesday where Russ got to be in her class for the last hour. They both enjoyed that, I was told. When I took her to dance class last night, I had been very clear to her that she needed to do a good job listening to the teacher. Well, right away she decided not to listen and one of her classmates accidentally stepped on her finger. Ouch! I gave her hugs and kisses and she did get back into class, but after a few minutes she wanted to come out again. And again. After the third time I had to take her home. Not peacefully, I can assure you. I'm hoping that it just started off bad and she couldn't recover, but I guess last week was Trevor's week to be a bit "off" in my opinion and this week it is Gwen's. She is starting her teenage attitude of mouthing off to me and loving the attention it gets her when I talk to her. Oh the joys of raising such a daughter.

On a positive note, I took out the old playdough that I won during our sibling division of toys a while back, and when I showed her that I could turn playdough into sesame street characters, she was in heaven. DOLLS!!! Unfortunately, we didn't have a wide selection of playdough so last night more colors were bought along with a strawberry shortcake mold, similar to the sesame street characters. I'm guessing that is what we will be playing for a good portion of the coming days. Hopefully, she will also get some more sleep during naptimes so that she can feel better than she does.

And when it comes to me, the time seems to be flying by. I have a final paper for my final class due on Tuesday. I have completed one business tax return, and have been asked to complete another. I love how much I have learned in the past 8 months and now this year's taxes have expanded my knowledge! To add to my resume, there could be the potential of helping out in a non-profit setting. I'll let you all know more about that if it works out ;-) So yeah, that's what's going on.

No comments: