Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Big Night

With all the things coming up, it is hard not to get lost in the details of the little things. Last night was Trevor's first exhibition game of his baseball career. This is his first year where the teams must keep score, keep outs, and keep track of their batting order and such. There is no walks, but the hitters can only have 7 pitches or three swinging strikes. I know there was a lot of nerves, across the team. From the kids worrying if they could get a hit or not, to the coaches style of pitching, and the head coach making sure that it ran as smoothly as it could.

Thankfully the weather was a bit warmer than it had been, although not quite warm enough to my liking. And I quickly learned that it is a pretty quick game, inning wise although I would guess that it depends on the skill levels of the teams. It took our team once around the batting order before everyone was settled down enough to get some hits. I will say that the team when they were in the field was awesome. It was hard for kids their age to stay awake enough on every pitch but I will say that there was one double-play and if it hadn't been for the other team's coach, their players didn't get more than a double.

Trevor got a hit, and really I thought it was a good goal for him to have when playing. I was proud of him for not flipping out when he didn't get a hit, but I think he also took his cues from the other players on the team. One of the best players on the team didn't get a hit at all, and he was very good at not beating himself up about it.

The team has one more exhibition game on Wednesday before the games really "count". In the end, they lost 5 to 4, but getting more time and experience is something that this team really could use. I hope to say that they will win a good chunk of their games so that the kids do enjoy playing and they learn a lot.

No comments: