Saturday, May 21, 2011

Piano Recital

One of the first school year ending events is Trevor's first piano recital. He takes lessons through a company where the teachers actually come to your house weekly for a half hour. We have been doing this since January, so almost 5 months worth of lessons and he has come a long way!

The recital itself was nice in that there were a variety of students, all taught by the same teacher. Trevor's teacher majored in Cello, but because of his music background teaches violin, piano, bass, and guitar as well. So there were a lot of different songs, and some of the same songs across different instruments. The concert lasted about an hour and 15 minutes with 25 students. Trevor played his two pieces very well and started the entire concert off.

It was a very good experience for him as he has never done a solo act at a performance and while I would never call him stage fright, that was what he explained when he was done. He said he had major stage fright when he was on stage, but as best as I understand it, I believe it was just his term for butterflies. You could not tell one bit that he was nervous or timid to be up on stage. I was able to video his performance, and he slipped on the keys once, and the look on his face was priceless. It was a more, "I cannot believe I messed up Yankee Doodle. I have played this piece a hundred times. I don't even need the sheet music, and I messed up." His teacher prepared him and (I'm sure) all other students to, if you mess up, just fudge through it and act like nothing happened. He recovered awesomely, and played his second piece wonderfully, with no slipped keys.

One other note, his teacher noted in his bio as I was reading it that he likes to find the type of music each student likes and use that kind of music as much as possible. It was very evident in the recital. Although I'm sure he was quite limited by the earlier level students, the choice of music did vary at the end. A violinist played a song from "Wicked" and the closing number was an electric guitar, and the teacher on cello rocking out to "Rock me like a Hurricane". And the teacher was really rocking out.

We get a two week break until the next big events: Dance recital and baseball tournament. As long as warmer weather comes with it, I will be happy. OH and less rain please???

No comments: