Sunday, May 8, 2011

The crazy month of May

I guess with the addition of Gwen into preschool this year, that means that the whole family could possibly have something going on at any point during the year. For whatever reason, all four of us have come together in some sort of almost "crossing of the streams" way during the month of May. Our yearly summer kick-off season has always started with the Kentucky Derby. This year, we were able to attend a bridal shower for a cousin being married in June. Gwen was all amped up to go, and while I know Trevor doesn't like to miss out on a party, he has come to understand that boys are not invited to these things called showers. It made it much easier to take when he knew that all the boys were going to be around and possibly playing some sort of sporting activity.

Meanwhile my minivan, or mommy-mobile, was overflowing with girlie girls during the four hours we were in the car to get to and from the shower. It was an awesome time by all, capped off by the last hour in the car, all three little girls fell asleep in their respective seats. That meant they were all good to go for the race time and directly afterwards to play games outdoors. Contrary to every weather report I could find the day and evening were perfect and almost warm with no rain whatsoever during the time we were at the lake. Unfortunately, I have come to rely on the weather forecast and even guess at a chillier than forecasted temperature. So I didn't pack any cooler clothes for myself or the kids. I packed hooded sweatshirts and long pants. Luckily I packed Trevor's Twins t-shirt because I knew he would wear that over a long sleeved shirt. He is the one that often gets very overheated.

So we got back in time for the horse drawing and watching the running of the race. There were 19 horses this year and 20 people at our party. That meant that we would be drawing horses twice and the two youngest kids didn't get two horses. It changes from year-to-year depending on how many people come to the party. As luck would have it, Gwen drew the same horse on both of her drawings and was the sole winner. She was as excited as she could be, trying to understand it all. Unfortunately, this prolonged my mom's, my own, and my brother's (and has Dave won yet too?) winning drought. I guess a point could be made for all kids, like Trevor and all younger than him except Gwen, but unless you have endured the heartbreaking loss well into your adult life, I sort of don't feel your pain. Trevor had a little hiccup with his dealing with and understanding this little game that we play. He was very excited to know which horse was his, and the horse that he had was up front at the beginning of the race. Unfortunately, it did not win, so come end of the race, he was very upset. It was short lived, but apparent he didn't like that he hasn't won yet, and here comes his sister to win and grab all the attention. Had it been someone else, I'm sure he would have been slightly upset because his horse was in front at the start of the race, but I wonder if he thought she was going to throw it back in his face and tease him about it, since that is a current phase between the both of them right now.

Anyway, so as is per usual at the cabin, we had another late night of dominoes. We were able to get out to the local restaurant for their Mother's Day lunch/dinner. They don't do brunch-type foods so it was a special lunchtime dinner meal. I got a really nice school project from Trevor and hand made cards from the kids. I would have liked to have been given the gift of sleep by the both of them Sunday morning, but I'll take happy, healthy, creative kids any day. Gwen slept the entire highway ride home until I opened her door in the garage. I didn't even have to turn on the DVD player. I have been finding that when I ride in my car alone, I enjoy silence. I don't turn on the radio anymore. Peace and quiet seem to be my friends right now.

I will be quickly signing off here in order to catch up on some of my sleep. I hope soon we can stay in the 70's for a long stretch of time and I can get and stay organized with all the events coming up. It is bound to be a busy May for our family!

No comments: