Wednesday, August 29, 2012

State Fair...and we are READY!

Of course, here we are, end of the summer and HAD to get those last few things off the to-do list for the summer.  Well, it's not like you could do the State Fair during any other part of the year.  So last Friday, we went to the State Fair.  Russ was able to come with us this time, and we got to stay for a fair amount of time (pun intended).  I think I need to get a bit more familiar with where our favorite spots are before I go next time, because I didn't plan it all out very well. 

We did the animal barns as well as grabbed milkshakes outside the cow barn.  First thing into the fair, Gwen was hungry (at 10am) and decided on....a hot dog.  Trevor then wanted one too.  So at least we started out without the kids being hungry.  We got them through until the milkshakes.  After the milkshakes, we went on to the jumping trampolines.  That has been an annual event.  I don't know if it was because we had been to Valleyfair earlier in the week or not, but there was only one ride that the kids wanted to go on, and it was in the Kidway, so we didn't even buy tickets for it. 

Russ and the kids went on two rides of the Giant Slide, where Trevor was a little frustrated that he didn't go as fast as Gwen and Russ in their race, but it was a good lesson in what develops speed in a slide.  So from there, we went by the agriculture building which was right near the Skyride.  We took a round-trip ride before Russ had to head back home.  After the ride, we went to the food building to grab some cheese curds.  The kids enjoyed the fair cheese curds.  At this point, it was afternoon and getting REALLY hot in the sun.  There was enough shade where we went to stay cool and I knew we had to go over to the Twins tent.  Unfortunately, there wasn't any shade there.  Gwen wanted to do the jumping house and Trevor saw they were doing a home run contest with an inflatable fence.  I think the height was 7ft tall.  The distance was maybe 25 feet from where the kids were hitting the ball.  They had pretend bases and the pitcher was one of the workers.  They had wiffle balls and thin plastic bats.  I knew Trevor was pumped.  He had 4 chances, and as he was up the 4th time, Gwen was melting down....literally and emotionally.  I was able to watch him bat, and the first 2 times he hit well enough to get on base but not over the fence.  One time, he popped out to first base.  Finally, luckily his last time, he hit one over the fence.  Obviously he knew this really meant nothing as there was no prize, the event cost no money to enter, but the grin on his face was priceless.  This boy loves baseball. 

After the Twins area, it was time to head back to the other side of the fair, where our car was parked.  So we walked, being in the shade as much as possible.  We were home by 3, able to rest and cool down.

So on to this week....today (Wednesday) was the day that I made sure to get our school-related to-dos done.  I double-checked the supply list and we are set.  Both kids needed haircuts.  Both kids needed a first-day-of-school outfit.  And if we had time, I needed a few things at Target.  So when I told Trevor the list of things we needed to do, I knew he wasn't going to be super keen on shopping for clothes (yep, he's my son).  But I knew I would be able to at least let him take care of the items he needed to get if I gave him a list and a size.  I was right.  So I hung around with Gwen and let her roam to see what she wanted to get. 

I heard Trevor ask the salesperson if they had Ninjago t-shirts and she was a bit puzzled.  I knew they didn't.  The shirt that he did pick out I think was a result of being forced to pick one.  He tried it on, and it was too big for him.  So we put it back and I told him we would check out Target.  He wasn't really thrilled with that idea, but when I told him we had other things to pick up anyway, he was ok with it.  Gwen found a nice shirt and skirt so we were off. 

We went into Target and split off again.  I told him to look for his t-shirt and Gwen and I went to the shoes.  Gwen's biggest thing lately is that she is proud to say she has changed her first favorite color from pink to purple.  So now clothes and in this case shoes, she is on the lookout for anything purple.  And we found some purple shoes.  That's done.  Moving back to where Trevor was, he had found a t-shirt but I didn't recognize the character on the front.  I directed him to the character t-shirts and wow...there was a Ninjago shirt.  Only his size left so it worked out perfectly.  He will feel all cool and excited for anyone to ask him about his shirt and Gwen will look pretty in her new clothes.  Mission accomplished.  Went over and got haircuts for the kids, lunch, and we are done.  Everything is set.  We have a pool gathering tomorrow, dropping off the school supplies, and to the cabin for the weekend!  That will be all that's left of the summer vacation!  This mom is glad school is coming....the kids and I need our schedule back! 

No comments: