Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I always remember it being this way...but still crazy

So after the 4th of July comes "back to school" season, right? How crazy is that. I think the public schools around here have not even been out of school for a month, yet the retail stores are in full swing with back to school gear.

But Trevor started Tennis as his weekly program and got to ride the bus. He was very excited to be able to do this. I think we deciphered that his friend Elizabeth was in the class with him, and that he might have suggested that she come with him on his bus ride back home to the elementary school. But really, until 6th grade, this is going to be one of the only times he is going to be riding the bus to get to "school". He was picked up with a few other kids at the Elementary school, driven to the school where he had to find out where the Tennis group was meeting (by asking one of the adults at the entrance) then get back on the correct bus and off at the correct stop. His bus was scheduled to arrive at 1:10 at the school, and the city asked me to allow for up to a half hour because the first day of the session is always a little confusing. I actually got there a little earlier than I meant to, at 1:00 and the bus was already there. I saw Trevor get off, so I was happy about that. He started to walk over to the car, and I saw that an older girl was following him, making sure he got to where he needed to go. So that made me feel better.

I was asking him about class, and got words out of him like, "volley, service line, baseline"...so at least he's learning the terms. He said he's having a good time, and I think that he is. He does seem to like sports stuff...and he's learned a few things like scoring from Nintendo Wii Sports. And he's named his racket "Russell". No idea why....He's also said that he needs to clean "Russell". And that he plays Tennis left handed. Which is pretty normal for him. He plays Nintendo left handed too.

So we'll see what comes of the camp. Maybe I'll take him out to the nearby tennis court to play a bit this weekend.

No comments: