Sunday, December 20, 2009

A little behind

I meant to post earlier this week about a few things that Trevor has done this week. He had two events that I want to remember. His doctor well-check appointment and finishing this session of swimming lessons.

Last Monday was his 6 year well-check with the doctor. While he has gotten the flu and his share of colds, we haven't had to be in to see him since his 5 year appointment. He was up to date on his immunizations, although I did get some questioning about not getting his second H1N1 shot, the doctor didn't really pressure me either. I explained that he got the virus, then got his first vaccination, and we decided not to get the second one. I had also already promised him that he was done until next year.

On the blog (that will be visually changing soon, I promise!) I have included the kids growth measurements so far. Trevor measured in at 55lbs and 48". He's in the 90% for both. I think there is no chance for him to be under 6', which will be interesting to see how fast and how tall he does become. The entire meeting with the doctor, he didn't stop talking. He answered the nurse's question of "does anyone around you smoke?" with, "Yes, I smoke. We all smoke outside." I think it was funny that that is what he thinks it is.

The doctor also didn't remember him being that talkative. I explained that yep, he has always been our "tour-guide Trevor". Perhaps he remembers more that Gwen is a little timid around him, and not as talkative with him as Trevor. The doctor has two kids, which go to the same Elementary school and church, so he was even able to talk to him about school. Trevor talked about wanting to be a doctor, or maybe do the news at school. I have a feeling that's what's going to happen. But we'll see.... I was informed that he doesn't have to go back in for a well-check until he's 8 now.

The other event that happened this week was that Trevor completed his 7 week swimming lessons. He started off that he was able to float on his back, and dog paddle a short distance in the pool by himself. And now, he has gotten to the point where he can do the back crawl the entire length of the pool. I believe it is a 50 yard length pool. The tricky part about these lessons are that they were the oldest group of kids, and 3 other groups were also in the same general area, so when they were trying to swim unassisted, the teachers of the other classes had to make sure they were not in his way. But as a swimmer, I can't imagine how hard it was to pretend like they weren't there. So next session it will be interesting to see how easy it is if there aren't the other classes to worry about.

He was so proud that he could swim as far as he did on his back without any help. I think swimming, besides the benefit of safety, has a certain appeal to Trevor in that he can get better, and faster, and it is sort-of race-like for him. So not only is he happy that he can swim by himself, but he also feels so much faster than he used to be. I'm so interested to see how he does in a pool not for swimming lessons. We'll be trying it out next month in Boston!

No comments: