Thursday, December 10, 2009

Playing in the snow

Well, a few of the metro schools had a snow day yesterday, but I hear that it is few and far between that our school district closes for snow. Regardless, this is the first big snow of the season, and I figured I had to at least let the kids walk around in it after lunch yesterday. I will admit it my biggest challenge as a parent. I HATE the cold. I think it is because I don't like how cold I feel outside. I don't own snowpants and with as little as I'd use them, I don't find them necessary.

So after about 15 minutes of getting ready, primarily having Trevor try to get himself ready seeing as how he's going to have to do it for his recess time next year, we got ourselves outside. Man was that wind biting. But I know the kids were bundled up and warm. I had to bring Gwen in against her will. She wasn't a big fan of trying to get around in the snow, but loved throwing the "rocks" at my legs. Trevor just wanted to make snow angels, which he did, and have a snowball fight, which the snow was a little tricky to do that with. Next year, we are going to have to wait for a weekend before the kids are going to be able to get outside together, which makes me a little sad. Trevor really enjoyed playing outside, but not by himself, and Gwen needs a little bit more strength in order to get herself around. We are also going to have to get ourselves around and find good sledding hills and such because Trevor would really get a kick out of that. My parents backyard would be perfect except for the distance.

I did decide to get better gloves and mittens for the kids, so hopefully they can keep their snowball making and throwing hands warmer. I also know that soon Trevor will have friends he will want to play with and as such I won't be the one that needs to take him outside....and again I feel a little sad about that. The kids grow up so fast, don't they?

No comments: