Sunday, January 10, 2010

The little girl

I feel like I can still remember way back when Trevor was Gwen's age, and thinking that he didn't really do a lot. I still have another year to go before I get to blogging when Gwen will have been the same age as Trevor. I was pregnant with Gwen, so that would make Trevor over three years old.

Anyway, I feel like I've been neglecting Gwen and her activities and what she is doing these days. She currently has a cold, so we've been trying to keep her home with the upcoming flight to Boston. I'd rather her not have a cold and dealing with the air pressure adjustment in the airplane. She seems to be good to go as of today with just a sniffly nose.

So, what does Gwen do these days? Pretty much anything we let her do. Her usual toys are the fairies from Tinkerbell, the dollhouse, and the kitchen food things. These are also something she would like other people to play with her. When Ellen was over the other day, it is a usual thing for both of them to do with me. I am the order person, and they bring each and every piece of food or plate or whatever to me. I then get buried in stuff before they find something else to do. Sometimes it can evolve into a tea party but mostly, it's just pretending to eat the food.

Playing with the dolls in the dollhouse is very much like acting out what goes on in the house. If people are around that are represented in the dollhouse, you have to be holding on to your doll. Not even really playing with her, just having your doll. But if you are playing with her, the mom doll is usually carrying the Gwen or the Trevor doll and rocking and singing them to sleep. Occasionally jumping around too.

The tinkerbell dolls are the ones that have gotten the most use, and here is the Johnson coming out in her..... She more often than not quotes movie lines with each of the dolls. There is a slight issue with one of the doll's names though. She always called one of the dolls Quincy after the Quincy character from Little Einsteins. One of the other fairys' name is Rosetta. The real Quincy fairy is named Iridessa. Only now is she trying to actually say that name, but she simply can't. It comes out Rosetta, with a hard emphasis on the "ta". I'm sure it will come soon, but for now it's a cute thing that reminds me that for now, she's our baby.

As has been evidenced by a lot of our outings, Gwen also loves to sing. I'm guessing that the singing in church during Christmas Eve mass was what made her think she could sing whenever she felt like it. And what is almost always sung is the songs from the princess display at Target. If you ever go into a Target store, she will ask to see the Princess Buttons. This is the place where you turn a dial to a certain princess, push the button, and the song that corresponds to that princess plays. She has also heard some of these songs on the movies, or on our Disney CD that we play. I think it brightens just about everyones mood whenever Gwen belts out, "A Dream is a Wish, your 'art 'akes" And she'll sing it whenever she sees Cinderella or puts on part of her Cinderella outfit.

She also has been jumping at the opportunity to "go shopping" with me. She knows where we go when we go to the Grocery Store and to Target, so if it isn't one of those two places, I say we are going shopping. This afternoon I had to run out to the mall to pick up an order I had and it was honestly the first time I think I saw Gwen get as ready as she could without my help or asking. I told her I was going to go shopping, and if she wanted to come with me we were going. Next thing I knew, she had beat me to the door, already with her boots on. I wish it were that easy all of the time!

Gwen also does her best to play any board-type game we have. Most of them are meant for Trevor, but as soon as she sees that we are headed to the game closet, she asks to play her favorites. My guess is her favorite is Mouse Trap, which she calls the Mouse Game. Actually, I would call it the Cinderella Game if I renamed it for her. She takes the mice and plays Cinderella with them. One is Jaq, one is Gus, and the man that jumps into the pool is Cinderella. Another one of her favorites is Disney DVD Bingo. With the exception of knowing what it is to have Bingo, she can play with everyone else. It has also helped her learn a lot of the major characters. Some of the other games she knows are: Connect Four, aka Buttons, Chutes and Ladders, aka the Girl game, and would love to do any puzzle that involves characters she recognizes.

So that's what's going on in Gwen's home life for now. Is it summer yet?

No comments: