Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The story of the nukie

So of course I can't believe me with my ideas of what a kid should have in terms of help with teething and comfort, etc. has made this whole nuk thing WAY bigger than it ever needed to be.

When it came to Trevor, it seemed simple. He took to them before he was 2 months, if I remember correctly. I took them away shortly after 18 months, at which time he was pretty much done teething so the doctor gave me the go-ahead to stop using it. Around that same time, I was at the mall when I saw two kids probably 4 or 5 years old with pacifiers in their mouths. I could not believe it. At that point, I decided that it was going to be a decision that as soon as I thought the kids wouldn't remember, yet wouldn't be scarred, I would be taking away pacifiers so not to be able to end up as what I saw.

I will always remember Trevor's reaction and what I did in order to try to calm him down. I gave him a countdown, and started with his nap so that if he didn't take his nap well, he'd be tired enough to do the evening sleep. I remember him being pretty upset, even though I had replaced the pacifier with his favorite toy, his cars. I did take maybe 2 days for him to even ask about it ever again.

With Gwen...she didn't even take a pacifier until after a year. Granted I think some of it has to do with the fact that she was so much of a later teether. But what I didn't think of at the time was that she never used the pacifiers as a method for comfort. Come time for her to get rid of them (2 days ago now....) she didn't care at all. It became routine, but there were so many times when she didn't need them to get to sleep that saying that they were "all gone" didn't phase her at all. I did replace them with her recent favorite...fairies. But no crying, no whining...just a simple question mostly when we went upstairs for bed.

If it weren't for my own thoughts of kids needing a pacifier or something....ah well. Hopefully this doesn't add to any of her issues later on in life. I am glad to have this part of our lives behind us. On to new parts....Maybe she's just an easy going person...I guess only time will tell.

No comments: