Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Big events

Well, after reflecting on what was going to be our 10 year anniversary, we decided to forgo huge recognitions and play it a little low key this year. But really, 10 years seems like a lifetime, in a wonderful way. Really, it is a lifetime for our kids. I've noticed that I'm not big on reminiscing, I prefer to picture our life in the future. I love to plan and enjoy the fruits of the planning. Our big trip to Disney World was great, and I'm looking forward to planning the next one in a few years. Trevor loves hearing about my love of Maui, so I think when the kids are MUCH older, we will have to head out there for a trip so I can show him what I mean.

Our actual anniversary date was spent with the kids out at dinner. We decided to priceline it for the Saturday evening that weekend. The kids went up to Grandmas house for the night and had a great time playing with their family. We got out golfing, then dinner, then a movie. It was SO weird. But nice to not have to feel rushed, or that we have to take care of the kids.

We went golfing, and while it was raining the entire time, I still enjoyed being able to get out and do it. Russ and I only get out maybe 3 or 4 times together. We then went to Redstone and again, didn't have to be rushed by kids. It is so hard to get out of the mind set. I was driving Russ's car the other day, or riding, I don't remember. We had the kids in the back seat with us because I had the car in for an oil change. When we stopped, I could not stop myself from reaching up by the rear view mirror where in the Relay, there are automatic door openers for the passenger seats. I feel like I'm automatically in my "mom" mode most of the time. Anyway, we had more time to ourselves because golf went by pretty quick. So we decided to brave a movie. Movies are always hard with us because we rarely see any, and I'm not much for serious movies, nor did I want to watch a kids movie, so that left us with limited options. We saw the movie Killers with Ashton Kutcher and Kathrine Heigl (excuse the spellings). For me it was perfect...light and I didn't have to really think about anything. They billed it as a movie about marriage, so it seemed to be the best choice. I don't know that Russ enjoyed it as much as I did, but like I said, I was happy.

So we stayed at a nearby hotel for the night. Poor Russ again, having to stay in a hotel. At least it was 4 star, and we brought our own pillows. And no kids or phone calls waking us up. The weekend was framed by Trevor's two baseball games on Saturday and Sunday morning. Trevor didn't get rained out either game which was I think one of the only teams to do so.

It has been a crazy few days for me. Trevor is "graduating" this week so more on that soon. But first, 10 years. Looking forward to many many more with our ever developing family.

No comments: