Monday, June 21, 2010

A Happy Heart

Well, we've been pretty busy lately, mostly due to my homework demands trying to be fit in with everything else. And the weather forecasts have been dead wrong lately so it has been hard to plan anything.

Friday started the weekend with an early golf lesson for Trevor. They got an hour to play 3 holes and we needed every minute of it. They even shortened the holes way down. Trevor has really gained some power in the last year, and when he gets a hold of the ball, he can really send it a ways. I think he has even developed a much better touch for putting than he has previously. The rules for junior golf are that they cannot have more than 7 shots on the fairway and 5 putts, for a total of 12 on each hole. Trevor didn't really like getting big numbers since he knows "par" and what it means, but it was cute to see another player convincing him that it was ok.

There are a total of 6 kids in his "league" and after their 3 holes, the pros give them lessons for about 45 minutes. Then they get a treat and a snack. This week it was a mini bat with the Twins' logo on it.

Saturday we decided to head out to the Como Zoo for a family zoo day. The forecast was bright and sunny in the mid-70s. It rained on the way out there, and was overcast the entire time we were there, maybe hitting 70 degrees. We did see all the animals and even went through the carnival area. The whole place has changed a lot since we were there last. Must have been 5 years ago or so? We got there close to opening time so we could find a parking spot and the crowds wouldn't be too bad. Mission accomplished. The outside walking was done when Trevor wanted to do the water balloon wars. I got some nice pictures of that. So on our way out we hit the Conservatory. Surprisingly neither kid fell asleep on the way back. Gwen did take a nice nap that afternoon too.

So for Father's Day, we gave Russ the home made cards, and the store-bought cards. Weather forecast was calling for scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. I had made a family tee-time for 4:00 in the afternoon. I knew Trevor would enjoy it, and decided to try to bring Gwen along as well, for however long she would last. The weather was hot and sunny. Nice job weather forecasters. I knew I wasn't going to be playing golf because Gwen would need wrangling. She wasn't really even interested in trying to hit the ball, or putt. The most interesting part was the coolers containing water. Our course has a lot of them. On the 1st hole, on the 2nd hole, on the 4th hole, a half-way house in the 5th hole where we got treats and drinks, then on the 7th hole. I took Gwen in for dinner and let the boys continue for the back 9. I was right, Trevor enjoyed and played the entire 18 holes. To top it off, yes, he did play from our course's junior tees which makes the holes shorter, but he played our 4th hole in 6 shots. I VERY commonly make a 6 on that hole as well. He had 3 shots in the fairway and 3 putts.

Russ will tell you he had 3 opportunities for a chip-in eagle, and played one of his best rounds. Gwen and I ended with the boys on the last 3 holes. Perhaps, if the weather is nice, we can make this a Father's Day tradition. Some day, hopefully Gwen will want to play with us, or at least last through most of the round.

Then today, Trevor started his parks program. I dropped him off at 9am and they can go until 4pm. I told him I was going to pick him up at 1pm today to see how he likes it. I'm hoping he knows a kid or two from school. I talked with the adults at the park and they filled me in as to how it all works. It really put my mind at ease that they know what they are doing. There are at least 5 adults and probably 15 or so kids. The kids range in age from 6-12. I do admit, that I drove by at about 10am to see what was going on, and the kids were playing some kind of game over the tennis fence by throwing a ball back and forth and trying to catch it. Even if it rains, they have board games or other indoor activities for the kids to do. I think I only saw one girl kid there. This sort of thing is for the active kid. When Gwen is 6, Trevor will be 10 so they both can do this together, but I'm not sure if she will want to or not. It is a very inexpensive option, so maybe we'll have to try it out. I'll learn more about it when I pick him up this afternoon.

All of these things lead me to have a happy heart. It has been nice to create great memories with the family.

No comments: