Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A short thought on Field Day

Field Day at Lake Elmo Elementary was a yearly tradition. I wonder if we started it in First Grade or if it started in Kindergarten. Honestly, thinking back, I didn't remember much. I remember relay races, short races that got longer as we got older, long jump - standing usually, not the running long jump you see in the Olympics, and I remember getting ribbons. Of course I didn't usually get many, unless I was lucky enough to get onto some one's relay team that was good.

But Trevor had his Field Day, and I had no idea if it was going to be anything similar. All I knew was that their school's gym teacher ran it. Which, if I remember correctly, ours did as well. Wow...our gym teacher, even that brings back memories. ANYWAY, I digress. I guess I should have volunteered to really see what it was all about. But I didn't. I had been volunteering a lot at school for other things, and the last event I was at was outside anyway. I posted a status on Facebook, trying to ask my Lake Elmo friends if they remembered our Field Day. Yep, got a lot of responses. It was at that time that I remembered a few more events we had: shoe toss and bean bag balancing races. It sounds like those events were more of what Trevor did. And maybe because it was Kindergarten, not the older kids. He said they played two different games of "tag" as well as having Popsicles (it was a warm day, which was nice for them). Get this, one of the games they played was called Toilet Tag. Of course the kids love that game. He played it in one of his summer classes and loved it then. The idea is if you are "it", you need to go around and try to tag people. If you are tagged, you need to freeze and hold your hand out as if it is a handle. If you are trying to rescue your frozen friend, you need to flush their handle, and the now unfrozen friend swirls around as if they are being flushed down the toilet and gets to play again.

So we are now in the last two weeks of Kindergarten. His big field trip to Como Zoo is coming up, with graduation (yes, I know, Kindergarten graduation is a bit ridiculous) and then his last day of school is a week from Friday. We had a wonderful time for Memorial Weekend (post to come) and hopefully the weather is as great this summer as it was this weekend. Change is coming! There is much to celebrate!

No comments: