Monday, November 15, 2010

What a wonderful day

Well, we are on the downside of a bump....I can feel it. Gwen has been clingy and upset for a while now and I think she is slowly getting over it. Usually our Mondays are pretty low key, and that my only for sure plan is to go to the grocery store. I was able to get through the entire store and picked up everything on my list, so I can say I'm ready to start the Thanksgiving Day planning. Gwen did a great job as always, and as long as Trevor isn't nearby she can stay still for quite a while, especially with the bribe of a free cookie.

When we got home, she played in the car for a while, and I started to unpack the groceries. I also do the laundry on Mondays, so that was something I was also keeping an eye on. She asked to play Candy Land while I was in the middle of unpacking, so I asked her if I could finish unpacking, change the laundry and I would play with her. I got the box down so she could set it up for us.

As soon as I came into the room, she knew we were ready to go. I know she had previously played the game with my mom, although I don't know how "by the rules" they played it. So I tried to teach it to her, and she picked it right up! I got stuck in the molasses, and I picked the beginning candy, in this one a plum, right towards the end, so I had no chance. I explained that you are just trying to get to the end, which again in this game is a castle. She never cared if she was winning, and waited for me to finish after she was done. It is so nice to think of her starting to play the little kid games! I'm sure Hi Ho Cherry O is next, but for now, she still has the gingerbread guys out and playing in the Cinderella Castle or laying down in the bed (because every toy quickly becomes a doll family accessory, don't you know?).

That and now that she can do every 24 piece puzzle we have, by herself, has just shocked me into believing that she is quickly growing up. But what is even more amazing, after I spent the time playing Candy Land with her, she pretty much let me clean the rest of the house. That is a wonderful thing, when I get to do that. I'm pretty good (or should I say bad about the housework) about putting down the unimportant housework and playing with Gwen when she wants to, but that leads to a pretty messy house.

So what a wonderful surprise today turned out to be. Thanks Gwen! It was a heart warming and successful cleaning day for me!

No comments: