Saturday, November 6, 2010

I'm already behind

We've had a pretty good week, and I've been meaning to post earlier this week, but haven't found the time. I'm already in my 4th week of classes (we have 10 weeks in class) and they are actually manageable. No more papers, which usually take up the most of my time. Trevor's school stuff is in process for being done. Maybe I can catch up a little on that during his and Gwen's two days off of school next week. But that is when our new furnace is coming and we are closing on our refinance. Blah.

We had a really good Halloween. A family friend threw a little party for everyone to say hi and see everyone's costumes. Then we could go off and do trick-or-treating. We decided to put a bowl of candy out so that we could head out with another family. Our immediate neighborhood isn't exactly filled with young kids so I figure it would be better if the kids could be out with someone they had fun with to enjoy the evening a bit more. We were only out for an hour or so. It did get a bit chilly and we got to see a pretty cool decorated house. We came back and also got to hand out candy to three groups of people. At which time I unloaded most of the rest of the candy. The kids did have fun unloading and organizing their stash, but since that time, they asked about having more candy the morning after and since then haven't said a peep. Trevor likes more types of candy than Gwen but because it is all out of sight, he doesn't really remember to ask about it and would prefer other snacks after school. I also have my favorite candy, but I don't even care about it enough to eat four or five pieces during the season.

Hopefully this weekend I can take down the Halloween decorations. 3 more weeks before we get out the Christmas decorations (the day after Trevor's birthday) and 7 more weeks until Christmas. Hopefully soon I'll start making my lists so I can search for good deals.

This past Tuesday was the kids first swimming lesson of the season. It was the first time Gwen was able to have her own swimming lesson. I never took her to parent/child swimming lessons, and I don't do them during the summer since we go swimming at the lake. When I started talking to her about lessons, she started to freak out a little bit. When I described them as games, she seemed a bit more willing to do them. I was also able to snag similar lesson times so that they both started at 4:00 and she got done at 4:30, and he got done at 4:40. I explained to Trevor's teacher that I couldn't come and get him because I was helping Gwen get ready. He seemed willing to help me get him into the locker room after his lesson.

When we got all ready for their lessons, I think I discovered that the part Gwen was more concerned about was that she thought I was going to leave her and go upstairs behind the glass to watch the lessons. Instead I sat on a ledge right next to the lessons so I could encourage her. She was a bit timid at first, but they had a belt and a noodle so she could try to swim on her own. There was one point where she swam all the way to the ladder and got out to walk over to the locker room. But then she got back in and kept going. I know she also got a kick out of going into the "warm pool" and found out she could touch. Hopefully, once she learns the routine, and understands what they actually do at her swimming lessons it will be easier for her. She did great for her first time. Trevor did his lesson and came back to the locker room when he was done. I'll have to talk to his teacher this week to see how he did.

I will admit that because I wanted the afternoon to go well, that I used McDonalds and watching Toy Story 3 as a bribe. It seemed to work, and I know based on past swimming lessons that Gwen was pretty tired afterwards. We'll have to wean them off of the bribes next week. Hopefully their swimming classes will continue to work out like this.

No comments: