Monday, October 31, 2011

The month of October

I feel like a broken record when I say that I cannot believe how packed our months have become, from now until the new year.  I know it isn't going to slow down at all until then, and at that point, I wish it would speed up to get through the dead of winter. 

October was filled with so many things, and even things that aren't a usual annual event for us.  We had two weddings, three birthdays, plus non family birthday parties and Gwen's own friend birthday party and just as it slowed down we had to get ready for Halloween.  To say I did not do a very good job being a mom this Halloween would be an understatement.  I had to make some priority changes and we had a deck project thrown in there to keep up with as well.  So instead of going to a pumpkin patch or even carve our pumpkins this year, we made sure to get vaccinated, put new tires on the car and head over to some fall/Halloween or birthday parties depending on the child. 

But let me start with the first part of the month.  We went to two extended family weddings, one out of town and one in town.  The kids had a blast at both and got to dance the night away.  In between the two weddings was Gwen's birthday with the family.  She was given princess and fairy toys, games, and clothes which she loved.  She is at the point where she does not believe it is her birthday until she blows out her candle after everyone has sung to her.  Of course when she had her party with her friends a week later, she then expected to be turning 5, I mean she already was 4 right???? 

**completely side note, I don't remember if I recorded one of her favorite explanations of rooms in our house.  she is quite literal when I ask her to go to the bathroom:  if I ask her to go to the bathroom before going somewhere, she tries to go upstairs because those are the two rooms that have baths in them.  I have to say that she needs to go to the potty room because the bathroom on the main level only has a toilet and sink (or half bath for those of you knowledgeable enough in looking at houses).  The bathroom cannot be called a bathroom unless it has a bath in it. 

So she had her party with her friends and we tried to play some games, but she was not happy with the choice of musical chairs.  I don't know if she assumed she should win because it was her birthday or had to win for a different reason but I had her doing something else pretty quick. The hit of the party was making their own crowns.  Whoever was the buyer at Target that came up with that one got a huge bonus I hope!

The other two weekends of October involved deck work.  There will be another post and pictures to follow on that when the final inspection occurs on Wednesday.  So instead, the kids did not go to a pumpkin patch, or get to carve pumpkins this year.  We were able to partake in a family Halloween party last night, which I think was better than any other cold walk through a corn maze.  Although I am a little sensitive to the cold, so it is probably just me talking.  The kids got to see a bunch of their friends in their Halloween costumes and hang around with them for a few hours. 

So today, being the last day of October, and Halloween I thought I would close up the month with a post.  This week is the start of the next month, Trevor's birthday month, Christmas shopping planning, and oh yeah, Thanksgiving.  Already planning my black Friday strategy.....

No comments: