Sunday, October 23, 2011

The vacation from school

Well, this week was a week that Trevor only had school on Monday and Tuesday due to the MEA teacher break.  Gwen had school on Wednesday, but not Friday.  So the kids had some extra time to harass play with each other.  Towards the end of the summer, I knew it was getting to the point where they are disagreeing more than agreeing to play with each other and so when this break came up, I was going to have to plan for some activities to keep them off of the other one.  Wednesday Trevor went in for his flu mist, Thursday we did a kid swap at a friends house, Friday we visited the new Disney Store at the MOA, and Saturday my mom took the kids overnight. 

Through the past week, it is clear to see that both kids really have such an incredible appetite for playing around:  Gwen with her dolls, singing songs, dancing, crafts like painting, coloring, gluing and has now discovered how to pump herself on the swings at school.  She has been asking me a lot when we are going to Disney World.  Because we are keeping it a secret from the kids, I cannot tell her that we are going, but I also don't want to discourage her from thinking we aren't going to go - because whenever she had asked throughout the past year, I had said that we will go back when she is 4.  Now that she is 4 she expects to know.  And she wants it to be today. 

Gwen is really getting into the tween shows on Disney Channel.  Anything having to do with A.N.T. Farm or the songs that the lead actress sings, she has memorized.  She also has been wanting to watch Shake it Up....that show deals more with dancing though.  So I guess she has a show for singing and one for dancing. 

Trevor has been very interested in his Chess learnings and wanting to try to learn how to beat anyone and everyone.  He has his next meeting tomorrow and I know he is hoping to move off of pawns and rooks so he can start putting more of the pieces on the board and play an entire game.  But I'm not worried.  He will keep coming back if he feels like he can learn more...and from what I hear there is a lot to learn.  Another thing he recently discovered is a website called Brain Pop.  It was a link given through the school but it requires a subscription.  I didn't look at it in great detail, but they gave a free 5 day trial membership so I signed him up for it.  He spent most of his time learning about the various revolutions and wars up until World War II.  Which then lead him to ask about playing Risk.  The trial membership expired today, and I think I'm going to have to see how much it costs to pay for the membership.  I can see and hear everything that he does on the computer and I was impressed at how it kept his interest yet explained about things like the American Revolution and Spanish-American War. 

This week will be all about finding ways to use their costumes.  Gwen can wear hers to dance class tomorrow.  Trevor's school costume party was cancelled for this year, but he has been invited to go to another location for a different kind of costume party.  Gwen can also wear her costume at Sunday school next week too.  I wish it was going to be as nice next Monday as it is going to be tomorrow.  Unfortunately, the costumes are not exactly warm for the kids. 

So we are plodding on.  Today is 9 weeks until Christmas.  Are we all ready for that???  So much to do, so little time!

No comments: