Monday, October 3, 2011

My Sweet Gwendolyn Caroline

Well, the mom made it through the big day.  It was a tricky one to navigate through, what with a wedding on the weekend that was out of town and a house to get organized for another 15 people.  Yes, we probably went overboard with the presents, and Trevor had a hard time dealing with the fact that it is Gwen's special day.  But I did my duty and talked with him about it, and had my alone time with him on the walk back from school.  He did become very proud when I let him "buy" his own gift for her, and she was genuinely so happy that he got her the only doll that she didn't have yet - Pocahontas.

This birthday was one of the only times where either Trevor or Gwen had a birthday during the week that conflicted with people who worked and this time Trevor going to school.  Last year Gwen's was on a Sunday, before that a Saturday, and really, she didn't remember her Friday birthday, I would bet.  Trevor's has always gotten into the Thanksgiving break during the birthdays that he would remember.  I think it was good for Gwen to be able to celebrate her birthday at school and then come home and have her time to celebrate it with her family....then later on with some friends. 

She is very easy to read when it comes to gifts....I guess we are all lucky in that respect.  She loves all things princess and you can often find the same gift that comes in variation to each of the princesses.  The look on her face when she opened all bazillion presents she got was so happy and grateful (at least that is what I'm hoping).  And now we....er...I mean she has so many new toys to play with that she will enjoy them for the weeks to come before she will get more princess stuff.

She is excited to start dance next week, and then she will be in her prime.  I cannot wait to see her in her new little outfit and remembering the dances she practices.  Little Miss Gwen, you keep me on my toes and can always surprise me with all the little details you put into your playing.  She quietly recites the lines from all the princess movies, or songs that she sings (current favorite is "SWEET CAROLINE....BUM BUM BUM....good times never seem so good...SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD" - she's getting ready for wedding number 5 this weekend!!!) and loves to play with all sizes of dolls.  From the new squinky sized to the big "sister" dolls she has.  She even dresses up as the princess herself and plays out the movies. 

Our whole family is so blessed to have a kind, caring, generous and close-proximity family.  I don't even want to imagine what it would be like to not have all of you around us.  Thank you to Bubba, Papa, Grandpa, Grandma, Uncle Tinkerbell, Aunt Kelsey, Cousin Ethan, Uncle 'Bacca, Uncle Derek, Aunt Kyrsten, Aunt Tracy, and Aunt Amy.  You all did make this the best birthday a 4 year old princess could have.  We love you all!

No comments: