Saturday, October 15, 2011

So much to do, so little time

Through the past few weeks, there has been so much going on, and so much to record but never enough time or motivation to get it all done.  I know this feeling is only going to get more and more the continual feeling for the years to come, but looking at it, I often wonder why.  I have a child in school M-F from 9 to 3 and another in school from 9-12 M, W, F.  This is 50% more "time to myself" than last year.  Last year I was even in school, taking 2-3 classes and getting everything done.  So where is my new found alone time?  Gone.  I now clean the house, prepare the meals, do the laundry, run errands, and make sure the kids are ready and available for all their activities.  Thankfully, I am not a single parent, so I do have help, but we all have additional commitments outside of our immediate family. 

For the first part of October, we have had two weddings and three birthdays.  Our family has had wonderful memories as a result:  Gwen getting to dance her heart out, Trevor getting some yummy food.  Trevor has had some sadness in knowing that his birthday is not in the immediate future, but at least he has been planning his own special day. 

We also had some new activities:  Trevor started chess club and Gwen started her dance lessons.  I know both had a wonderful time, and I think Trevor (aw heck...who am I kidding...I was surprised how much he enjoyed it) had a different philosophy about chess club.  He said he won 4 games and lost 2, which I was happy about.  I knew he wasn't exactly a beginner but I wouldn't move him  up to intermediate.  Their lesson last Monday was on pawns and rooks.  They had to play games with all pawns and see how many games they could win and then they can start adding rooks in.  It sounds like a great program and we'll see how often he wants to do it. 

We already had Trevor's first conferences.  We were given a lot to consider, but told that he was a great fit for the type of classroom that we chose for him, which was a good thing.  I had my first big event for the school and seemed to go off without a hitch.  We had another monthly meeting where a decision had been made to cancel the school costume party.  They will be replaced with an all-school service project that some people are very excited about.  But of course there are some that are disappointed too.  But the school has to do what is best seeing as how it is less than two weeks out. 

I always remind myself that pretty much from the start of school to the new year is crazy busy, but that doesn't mean that our responsibilities lessen any!  So until then, I'll just try to do my best and getting what needs to be done, done.  In the mean time, we will make sure to do the most important things:  making the wonderful memories that the kids will remember for a lifetime!

No comments: