Sunday, October 2, 2011

Needs to be recorded

I am behind, yet again, and I know I'm going to have to take a fast forward, before I can catch up again.  Tonight is the eve of Gwen's birthday and I still have to decorate her door, an idea I got from a parent friend.  Thanks Shena!  Anyway, I have been thinking about the fact that I wanted to record a little quirk about Trevor that he seems to have inherited from me, but a little from Russ as well, as Russ does do some talking in his sleep.

I do know that I do, or have in the past, moved around a lot in my sleep.  I do remember that my mom has said that I have walked downstairs and not remembered the event the next morning.  Trevor has always had difficulty sleeping well at night.  It gets bad directly before (like 1-2 days) before he gets hit with a cold.  The way that it gets bad is through nightmares.  If he is in the middle of a bad cold where he coughs through the night or has trouble breathing through his nose, he often wakes up uncomfortable throughout the night.  So I'm often in his room trying to comfort him, giving him ibuprofin and such.

So he has woken up crying out on a few occasions, but like I said, it is usually attributed to a cold.  Sometimes when he has these nightmares, he will get out of bed and come looking for me.  And then not remember any of it in the morning.  When he is upset, and it seems to be probably something he was dreaming about, he may or may not try to talk to me about it, and if he does - whatever he says is gibberish.  I've come to understand that unless he doesn't go to sleep, whenever I see him after I say goodnight, he is sleepwalking and cannot hold a conversation, or will not remember it the next morning.  I've tried to ask him to repeat what he said, but he can't even hear that.  The only thing I try to do is guide him back to bed and make him as comfortable and calm as possible so he can continue to sleep without being bothered by nightmares.

One night last week I woke up shortly after I went to bed and found Trevor sleeping in Russ's spot.  He had pulled his pillow pet and blanket with him but was still sleeping on Russ's pillow.  I didn't have the energy to move him and figured when Russ came to bed he would move him himself.  Well, an hour or so later, Gwen woke me up because she had to go to the bathroom.  I quickly scooted her out so she didn't see Trevor and want to join in the family bed.  Russ heard her get up and came upstairs to try to help.  I told him he might as well stay in Gwen's room because Trevor was in his spot.  So we both went to bed.  I woke up before 7 to take a shower and Trevor was still in the same spot as earlier in the night.  But when I came out of the bathroom he was gone.

Later on, Russ asked me if I knew why he was in our bed.  I told him I thought it could have been a nightmare.  But he hadn't been talking to me at all.  I asked Trevor if he remembered having a nightmare last night and he said no, why?  I asked him if he remembered why he came into my bed last night and he didn't believe me that he did.  That one surprised me.  I figured that he woke up from the shower and just went back to his room to change for the day.  But I don't think he was fully awake when that happened either.  We spent most of the next few minutes with him arguing that he never was in my bed and me promising that he was.

So that will be something to watch for the future.  Hopefully he wouldn't just walk outside to sleep on the lawn or something like that.  That would be pretty crazy.  But I guess I will continue to check in that guy for the years to come anyway. 

No comments: