Friday, November 9, 2007

So we can remember and not forget

Sorry I haven't been around much. We've had a rough patch with Gwen in that she's almost always attached to me during the day. She still sleeps decently (at least much better than Trevor) but that doesn't mean we get a "good" night's sleep. So if she ever does sleep during the day, I have a short list of necessity things that need to get done. Namely sleep myself.

And last night Russ and I were talking about how we could not remember it being this hard with Trevor. Actually, I know it was pretty hard until he decided to get into some what of a routine. But even then he wasn't able to sleep well at night. I looked on T's baby calendar a few days ago, and he didn't sleep through the night (definition: 6 hours in a row) until he was 2.5 months. Gwen has already done so, more than once. She averages 4-5 hours in a row, but she also has a pretty good routine at least at night. She also hasn't confused her days and nights like Trevor did.

But anyway, back to trying to remember how it was with Trevor. Our memories are a bit skewed because 4 weeks from T's birth was when Russ and I got the flu. Shortly thereafter, we had our parents staying over at night to help us out. A few days after that, I stopped breastfeeding, so he went to completely formula and bottles. I am pretty sure he also hadn't taken a pacifier yet. I know for sure he took to it before 3 months of age, but don't know when it happened. At 6 weeks old was when I was in the hospital for almost a week and again our families were over helping out with Trevor at night. So from about 4-7 weeks we don't have any real memory of how Trevor was.

For our reference....this part is HARD. Especially with another child that needs at least SOME attention. She doesn't sleep much during the day, and won't just sit there calmly either. She needs to be walked around (and have purchased a sling for future days) or wants to be sucking on something but hasn't figured out about a pacifier yet. We are going to keep offering her a pacifier until probably 3 months or until she finds a finger/thumb. You can see it would calm her down. Also, except for swaddling, she does like the other 5's. Russ found that the "shhhing" part is actually running water. She calms right down. Actually fell asleep in the carrier when I turned it on, and is sleeping right now.

Which means I should sign off for now, and get some other things done. I will be back when we have more time and energy. It will get better, I do know this. I can't wait to see our little girl start to become more independent and develop her personality. She does seem to be a much more relaxed girl than I remember Trevor being.

No comments: