Thursday, November 29, 2007

Irrational fears?

I remember when Trevor was a few years younger (how crazy is THAT that I can say a few years ago when talking about Trevor???), that I wondered if he would ever have any fears. The kid would do anything, and try anything because he never was showing any fear. Now, it is interesting to try to rationalize with him when he has a fear that really, isn't something to be afraid of. I always thought that he really loved attention. In fact he does like the attention, as I witnessed when we were at his Preschool Halloween Party. He LOVED getting up in front of the class and explaining who he was and where Lightning McQueen lived.

When we talked about his birthday coming up, he would always say, "But I don't want a birthday." I had to search through his thoughts before I found out that it wasn't the having a birthday, or turning 4 that was the problem, it was he didn't like when everyone sang to him. Actually, whenever it was any one's birthday - even when we were at a restaurant - he never wanted to sing, or anyone to sing to anyone when it was their birthday. So....to remedy that, when it came time to sing to him for his birthday, we all whispered. Then he was ok...still a little timid but we got through it.

We have a few things on the calendar coming up, but Trevor knows that as soon as we have his birthday, the next day we can bring up all the Christmas stuff. So it's officially going to look a lot more like Christmas in our household. All we've done so far is bring up the books and movies. We've already read Dr. Seuss's "The Grinch" as well as watched the movie and the Frosty the Snowman movie. I'm not sure if he doesn't remember the movies or if he only vaguely remembers them and remembers being a little scared by them for some reason. But when we watched the movies for the first time today, he spent a few moments behind the couch. And it puzzled me as to what could even be scary about the movies. I think he just wanted to be told what was going on in the movie. I mean what is scary about the Whos singing "Fa who for-As, Da who dor-As, welcome Christmas"?

And with that, we hope you all have a wonderful Christmas season!

No comments: