Thursday, September 25, 2008

Can you believe it?

It was one year ago today that I was officially due with Gwen. I remember it SO vividly probably because I was SO ready to be done, among other emotions.

These past few weeks I've been trying to get ready for both kids' birthdays although I know I have almost two months between them. It actually feels a lot easier this way. Only problem is, I remember that there are some great sales that come out in October for toys for Christmas. So while I'd prefer to be done with all the crazy toy shopping for everything, I'm holding off after getting a few things for Gwen's birthday.

I also have to figure out what to do for Halloween. I don't remember if it's ok to have swords at preschool. If I remember, I think they just prefer no "scary" costumes. Although I might have to convince Trevor to keep his lightsword at home during preschool. I know last year I thought I was going to make costumes this year, but I've instead been trying to clean and organize most of the house. I've been making big strides and I feel a lot better about getting into the down and dirty areas and getting rid of a lot of stuff.

For example, I'm shreading papers from before we were married. Bank statements mostly. Do you know how far down on the priority list that stuff has been? And it doesn't mean that my priority list has been shortened, just that I feel like if I do little things like that for 10 minutes a day, I don't feel like all those projects are overwhelmingly never going to get done.

Also with the upcoming birthdays and Christmas, I again have to go through and put away toys to make way for new ones. I've been trying to make a nice play place in the basement for times I need to clean downstairs. It can help keep some of the toys "newer" as they don't get played with very often if they go downstairs.

On another note.....it has been a little tough on Gwen to be sick this time. She has been having some trouble sleeping, or feeling good sleeping. So she's had a crabby attitude lately. But she has been having a BLAST playing with the dolls in the dollhouse. It has been fun to say something to her, like "Let's go play with the dolls" and she will go right over to the house and wait at the chair. Or if she wants to go to sleep, she will go to the bottom of the stairs and cry out. She is really understanding a lot of what is going on. And while I feel as though her temperment is different than Trevors is, I'm trying to distract her whenever I feel like she is going to throw a temper tantrum. So far, it's been working for the most part. Maybe I can convince her that it isn't a good idea? Who knows.

Her bedtime/naptime routine is interesting. Unlike Trevor, she never sleeps in the pack n play. Which doesn't make it very easy for when we go places. So I always make sure to take her blanket pal with us. I make sure she snuggles with it when I lay her down. But lately, she has really taken to a plain pink blanket that I have been using to cover the light on one side of her crib. It is very soft and much bigger than the other blanket. It will be interesting to see what (if anything) she ends up liking.

I'm just happy she finally can put herself down for naps and takes one regular one for at least an hour and a half every day. Trevor and I can have some time together to play games or whatever. And he has some time to play on his toys without Gwen. I forget that he doesn't have a lot of time to do that. He's usually the one that is away somewhere.

Well, Gwen is finally sleeping in this morning. I'm sure she needs it. Now I have a few minutes to get some other things done!

No comments: