Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What a nice weekend....

Really, I cannot complain at all about the weekend. Especially the weather. It did not rain once while we were there. And it was at or above 80 all three days we were there. Trevor got to swim every day. We were even at Barb's beach one of the days. Of course, we much would have appreciated it more if the bridge were built, and the lake was up to its normal level. Then my parent's boat would have been in the water for the entire time. But they did get to have it in for a great day on Saturday. I know next year Trevor will really enjoy it. I think he is on the brink of getting over his fear of loud noises. Plus he can almost jump into the water without having someone catch him. Swimming lessons start again in another week and a half, and if he gets a good teacher, I know he'll be jumping in soon.

To start off, I figured I would be able to drive down by myself during Gwen's naptime schedule. She has been only taking one nap a day for most of the days. I know I need to distract her for that morning time when she might want to take a nap at say 10:30 or so. So we got into the car after I gave her a bottle at 11:30. We drove through McD's for Trevor's lunch and were on the road, just before getting on the highway when Gwen woke up. Now, she does this but because we were in the car, I figured she would be able to go back to sleep no problem. For whatever reason, that didn't happen. But she did a really good job of not getting too upset until I got to Eau Claire which is more than halfway to the cabin. We stopped at a McD's playland so Trevor could run off some steam and Gwen could stretch her legs.

Getting back into the car was a bit of a struggle for Gwen, but both kids were asleep by the time we got to the cabin around 3:20 or so. But they both woke up as the car stopped. And no more naps for either of them.

On Friday night, we were able to spend the dinner time celebrating Ellie's 3rd birthday! The folks at the Stone's Throw sang to her and Trevor was able to remember a little about his own birthday coming up. I think he's going to love it in a few months.

So that night, we played some dominoes. I drank a whole bottle of wine. I have NEVER done that before. I figured it was the only drink that tastes relatively good to me, so it is easier to drink more of it. I will drink beer, but it does not taste nearly as sweet or good as wine does. The next day was a slow start for me, but it was all good ;-)

Gwen has been going in fast motion when it comes to vocalizing for the time being. She has been able to say at one time or another: Mama, Dada, Bubba, Baa (as in the sound a sheep makes) Eyes, Moo, Kaka (for cracker), and the crowd favorite: HIIIIII. She's also waving at that point too. If you ask her to. She's very cute and I've started to calm Trevor down to understand that I will make sure he gets time to play with his toys by himself if he lets her take a turn as well.

Now all I can hope for is as much healthy time as possible. I know the cold and sick season is coming soon and it will really not be fun for the time when the kids are sick.

But for now....the weather and the "end" of summer was great.

Oh, and for the first time EVER, I tried to let Gwen put herself down for a nap. Not intentionally, but she wouldn't stay asleep when I put her in her crib, so I figured I'd see what happened if I just let her spend some time in her crib. It was past 1pm so I knew she was tired. She slept until 3:45. She did wake up once and I checked on her. But she didn't even cry to get to sleep. She played for a few minutes and then I heard nothing....

WHEW! I never knew if that was going to happen! Now...I can only hope that she won't be upset if I put her to sleep wide awake for her nap. I guess that's the next step.

No comments: