Thursday, September 11, 2008

First days of school



Sorry about my lack of discussion on this topic. I do have a picture of Trevor at home right before his first day of school. But I know he would like this better because his friend is in it. He has been really enjoying going back to preschool. His class is the same except for 3 new faces. He now goes 3 days a week instead of two. On Wednesdays they do a weekly reader activity and get to play on the computer. However, it has to be your "turn" for the day if you are going to play on it.

With his change back to his routine for the fall, comes a lot of arguments. For the past year and a half or so, when we did time outs for Trevor, they would be up in his room. I knew they worked because he was not happy when he got up there. He was away from the action. However, now he goes up there and enjoys his time away from everyone. So we are going to have to try a naughty mat or naughty step, whichever works. I'm not sure how Gwen is going to be in leaving Trevor alone, so it might have to be on the stairs.

Gwen is choosing walking as her main form of transportation, and I think that adds to Trevor's frustration. She is very quick. And gets into all his things. So a lot of Trevor's acting out is due to wanting more attention. I send Trevor to preschool crossing my fingers that he isn't as difficult as he is at home, and so far so good. I think there is enough newness and yet familiarity where he knows he has some Gwen free time.

In the mean time, Gwen has class on Wednesday afternoons. I am amazed at how much of an "expert" I have become. Ann Marie wasn't there on Wednesday and I immediately became the one the instructor knew would know what was going on. Almost everyone else was there with their first baby. Most were frustrated because they were dealing with their baby waking up in the middle of the night when they didn't use to. OH how I remember those days and how frustrating they were. And everyone seemed to be dealing with letting their babies find out how to put themselves to sleep. Feeling guilty with letting them cry and the such.

The book "Touchpoints" came up and I seconded it. A lot of the mom's wrote the book down and I hope most will be able to get it, if not for this baby for future kids. I also remember feeling that there had to be an answer out there for an issue I was having trouble with. And hearing a lot of the mom's questions, you get the answer, "There is no answer". It's just a phase, and you have to wait it out.

Anyway, I do know that Gwen likes her change in environment and plays like crazy when she is there. It is also easy to see that I am a second time mom by how much I let her play. Most parents are hovering right by their baby because they are worried about what they will touch or do. I keep my eye on her, but for the most part, I let her explore and only take her away if she is bothering another baby.

So school is in session. I'm sure it will bring on lots of fun stuff this year!

No comments: